fourteen

Papers were scattered around Marci's desk along with many dirty coffee cups. Marci had been searching nonstop for any sign of Bucky for sixty three days. How she was going to find him, she wasn't sure. She put a lot of time searching for not only Bucky but also her mother hoping that one would lead her to the other. After scanning security camera footage and social media platforms, she found a single photo showing a glimpse of a man with silver fingers. Just looking at it, you wouldn't be able to tell it was Bucky. His head was cover by a baseball cap and a large sweatshirt covered his torso, but underneath the long sleeves a sliver of his metal hand peaked through. Marci was certain it was him.

She actually didn't begin her search with him. She thought maybe she would be able to find her mother who would in turn lead her to Bucky, but that wasn't the case. There was no mention of a Madalyn Cramer, or Frook, her maiden name at all. It was almost like she was wiped from the earth. Like she never even existed at all.

The photo Marci found was uploaded just fourteen hours ago and posted by a tourist taking candid pictures in a Romanian market. That was all the evidence Marci needed, so she immediately booked a flight to Romania.

Saying that she was nervous was an understatement. It had been years since Marci had left the country, not since her military days. It also didn't help that her face had been displayed as a someone who took down Shield. Ever since that day, Marci seemed to be hiding in the shadows, avoiding the outside world as much as possible. So when Marci finally stepped of the sketchy plane she flew in on, a deep breath of relief flooded her lungs. The crisp air brought a slight smile to her face as the morning sun warmed her skin. Tugging at the straps of the backpack, the only thing she brought with her, she began walking.

There were people busily pushing past her, speaking in Romanian, a language which she didn't completely understand. On the flight Marci had been reading an English to Romanian dictionary, but she only memorized the basics.

Her mind continued to wander as her feet carried her through the beautiful city. Her eyes bounced around as she admired all of the intricate architecture. Although she was happy, excited even, to be in Romania she couldn't shake the pain that she felt in her heart. The circumstance of the trip made being there much less enjoyable.

Pushing those thoughts aside Marci stumbled upon a small cafe, and she could sure use a caffeinated pick me up. Upon entering, the strong smell of coffee met her nose and a smile met her lips. She made her way to the counter and sighed in relief when she saw some English on the menu. After a few moments of looking over the menu she decided on a Carmel macchiato. The barista took her name, a fake one, and Marci decided to wait at a table in the corner of the shop. It was a habit from Sam that had rubbed off on Marci. This way she could see both exits and had a good view out the front windows.

She took off her backpack and hung it on the back of her chair, then withdrew her laptop and placed it on the table that was before her. As Marci went to type in her password a worker placed Marci's coffee on the table. "Mulțumesc," she thanked the young man. He gave her a small smile and a nod before returning to his work. She immediately reached for the iced drink, downing it as if she hadn't had anything to drink in days. The sweet yet bitter taste of the Carmel and coffee flavor complimented each other perfectly. It was just what she needed.

Just as Marci was going to return to her work, her eyes locked on a man walking past the cafe. "Oh my god," she mumbled under her breath. He was slowly leaving her view from the window so she scrambled to her feet and tossed her computer back in her bag. She tossed what little remained of her coffee in the trash on the way out and bolted out the door. She glanced in the direction he was walking in, she spotted the familiar hooded man and quickly began tailing him.

As her feet moved steadily across the pavement, her heart pounded in her chest. She pushed past people, not bothering who she ran into. She had to catch up to him. Her view wavered as people weaved in and out of the crowd, but she pushed on. That was until she met a four way cross in the road and she didn't see the direction of where he went. "Damn it," she muttered, spinning around searching for any sign of him. Out of all of the people that lingered around her, not a single one was him.

She began to backtrack her steps and left the main drag of the city. She eased her way into a deserted alleyway to take a moment to clear her mind. She watched as a rat scurried across the stone path and a few birds pecked at crumbs near a dumpster.

Then, all of a sudden she was grabbed by the back of the neck and pushed into the brick wall of a building. Her left arm was twisted behind her back, being pushed up towards her shoulder blades. "Why are you following me?" A low raspy voice said into her ear. She knew that voice. It was him.

Although the rough brick itched at her skin, a small smirk came upon her face. She focus her powers to the arm that he had pinned behind her back and it ignited instantly. He hissed as the flames nipped at his flesh hand and released his grip on her. She took his moment of weakness as an opportunity to send a powerful kick into his chest making him go stumbling back. As his feet slid across the stone pathway, his eyes carefully examined the woman that stood before him. A small smirk eased its way onto her face once more as she removed her hat and sun glasses, revealing her face to him. His stance completely changed; going from ready to attack to a much more relaxed position. He took a step towards her, completely surprised that it was her and not a Hydra operative. "Marci, what are you doing here?"

She rolled her eyes at his question, "Well, you didn't exactly leave a phone number." He didn't appreciate her response and it showed on his face. "I changed my mind," she paused, "I wanna help you."

——————
Enjoy the update!

Anddd happy birthday to the proud owner of America's ass!