eighteen

"You want me to do what now?" Marci asked, completely taken back and quite disgusted at Bucky's proposal.

A large sigh escaped Bucky's mouth, "What are you a child?" He sassed, taking Marci by surprise. It made her wonder if his old self was peaking through. "If we're going up against Hydra, you're going to need to start training."

Marci crossed her arms as a frown formed on her face. She had been sitting comfortably on the small sofa in the apartment that the pair was currently inhabiting, a book laid askew in her lap from being tossed aside during their confrontation. "Listen, Buck," the nickname flowed from her mouth effortlessly, neither of them thought much of it. "I know you still don't know me that well, but there's one thing I hate more than anything else in the world, and that's working out."

Bucky playfully rolled his eyes, "If were going up against Hydra, you need to be prepared."

Marci got up from her sitting position, arms still crossed, "You know," she began, "I've been against Hydra once before, and I'm pretty sure I kicked your ass." Her face was proudly displaying a playful smirk, she was having fun with this.

"And I'm pretty sure you were just Captain America's backup," Bucky sassed back.

Marci gasped, "How dare you," she laughed, throwing her arms in the air. "That one hurt," she placed a hand over her heart for dramatic effect.

Bucky shook his head and the smile from his face vanished as if it was never there. "This is serious, Marci." She felt her heart twinge as her name rolled off his lips in such a tone. "Look, I have to be honest with you," Bucky's eyes adverted to the ground. "If we go back, there's a chance you'll have to fight me too," his voice was low.

Marci took a step towards him, "What are you talking about?"

Bucky took a deep breathe before speaking, "There's this book," he began, "It's got these words in it that trigger him." It took Marci a moment to understand what he meant. The Winter Solider, she quickly realized. "And once they say those words, I can't do anything to stop. I'll go right back to being the monster they made me to be."

Marci took a step forward, reaching out to grab Bucky's flesh hand. She noticed him glance down at their intertwined fingers, but he didn't protest. In this moment, it felt right. "Don't think like that," Marci spoke. Bucky glanced up and locked their eyes together. "If there's anything I can do about, they won't get the chance too."

Bucky sighed, "I just-," he stopped, pulling their hands apart. "I could hurt you, or worse, kill you," he said, "It would destroy me if that happen. I can't add your name to my already long list." Marci knew that this idea had been in his head for a while now. He seemed so sure something bad would happen and she hated it.

"Well," she nodded slightly, "If there's anyone who knows how to take down the Winter Soldier it's you." Bucky didn't quite understand what she was saying. Marci recognized the look that lingered on his face. "I mean, that you know your own weaknesses. You just have to teach me how to use them against you."

~~~

"Again," Bucky's voice held no emotion, he was too focused on the task at hand; preparing Marci for the soldiers wrath. Marci grunted as she sent another blow to the punching bag Bucky held in place. The two were currently in the small gym that sat beneath the apartment complex they share. It wasn't anything special; a few punching bags, a rack of weights and two treadmills. All of which were covered in dust and were nearly twenty years old. Before Marci's arrival, Bucky had spent lots of time here. He didn't have to worry about hiding his arm because the other residents, the few there were, never came to the gym.