twenty four

Marci and Bucky walked hand in hand down the streets of Bucharest. The pair of them both wearing their baseball caps to conceal their faces like they always do. They were on their weekly trip to the farmers market, ready to pick out some fresh foods to brighten up their kitchen.

It was a cool day for the middle of June. The warm summer days were yet to happen, but Marci didn't mind. She liked the feeling of the cool breeze, the hot sun didn't feel as warm to her anymore so she like the lower temperatures.

After the many weeks of them living in Romania together and their countless trips to this market, they have a set few vendors they like to buy goods from. Their first stop was the kind old woman, that always brought a smile to Marci's face when they saw each other again. She sold a variety of fruits and hand crafted goods, but today they were on the hunt for plums.

They found the table of fruits and after digging through they found ones that they thought looked just perfect. Marci glanced around the street as Bucky paid for the plums and made small talk with the old Romanian woman. As Marci's eyes wandered she noticed a man staring at the pair from across the street. Her gaze didn't falter as the man gave her an uneasy glance. After a moment, she turned back to Bucky nudging him slightly.

"Bucky," she said quietly, "There's a man staring at us from the newspaper stand across the street."

"Okay," he nodded slightly but didn't turn around quite yet. They bid their goodbyes to the woman and turned around together walking towards road. The man continued to watch the two, but as he saw Bucky his eyes widened and he backed up quickly.

"Shit," Marci said as Bucky grabbed her hand and they crossed the street quickly. By the time they made it to the newsstand the man inside was long gone. Bucky grabbed the lone newspaper that sat on the corner, as he raised it, Marci couldn't believe what the headline said.

WINTER SOLDIER WANTED FOR BOMBING IN VIENA

"Bucky, we gotta go," Marci watched him as he nodded slowly, not quite processing what he just read. "Bucky, we gotta go, now!" Marci said again, he tightened his jaw but nodded reluctantly.

They walked quickly yet calmly back to their apartment, neither of them saying a word to each other.

It's crazy how quickly life can change. One moment they were living in complete bliss, finally happy and then life throws another punch their way. These two seemed to always be dodging life's blows, but this one, Marci knew, was gonna hit harder than any other.

The fifteen minute walk felt like an eternity. Marci's palms were sweating and her stomach was in knots. When they reached the outside of their apartment building she slowed down, "Hey," she said, "I'm gonna circle the building, make sure we're clear."

Bucky nodded, "I'll get the bag, if you're not back in five I'll come find you."

"I'll be back," Marci nodded, she wanted to give him a hopeful smile, but it didn't read that way. Bucky's once smiling eyes had lost their spark, and a deep sigh left his body. He nodded to her but didn't say anything as he turned around a ran inside.

Marci turned away from the apartment complex, head tilted low but her eyes surveying the area like a predator searching for their prey. Except they were the prey on the lookout for predators that would eat them alive.

She started walking down the block and it didn't take her long to find exactly what she didn't want to see. She saw lots of dark unmarked vans, too many to even count. Though she couldn't see inside of the vehicles, she knew what they were concealing. Men and women dressed in clad black with only one goal in mind: eliminate the Winter Soldier.

As soon as that thought entered her mind she felt physically sick to her stomach. Her hand flew to her face, covering her mouth as she thought she was about to vomit. Tears welled in her eyes as she quickly turned back around moving swiftly towards the apartment building. As she raced up the staircase, her throat burned and stomach was still in knots. The anxiety she felt didn't appreciate her quick pace but she had no time to waste. She had to warn Bucky. When she made it to the apartment, the door was left slightly ajar. She didn't think anything of it as she busted through, slamming the door behind herself.

"Bucky-," she stopped mid sentence as she noticed Bucky wasn't the only one in the room. Steve Rogers, in full Captain America attire, stood before her. Just as wide eyed as Marci was. Her mouth fell slightly agape, neither of them said anything at first. Both not expecting to the either, but then she finally spoke. "Hey, Steve..," she said quietly, eyes darting from Bucky and Steve. Bucky looked quiet uncomfortable, she had wondered what conversation she had just interrupted.

"Marci?" Steve said, but it sounded more like a question than a statement, "What are you doing here?" The betrayl in his eyes was a look Marci would never forget. It hurt her to know she was caught up in a lie, but there wasn't time to explain.

"Steve, I don't have time to explain," she said to him. She walked over to Bucky, his eyes turned to her, "They've got the place surrounded Buck, we gotta get out of here." Just as she said that, she heard footsteps on the roof of the building.

"It's German Special forces," Steve said, "They're not planning on taking you alive." Marci didn't like the sound of that, but it's what she had assumed.

"That's smart," Bucky said quietly, he eyes fixed on Marci. She gave him a sad smile, and he started to removed his glove from his bionic hand.

"This doesn't have to end in a fight," Steve told the two of them, but it was more directed as Bucky.

"It always ends in a fight," Marci said for him. She gave Bucky a slight nod as the sound of footsteps outside their apartment door grew louder and louder.

"You pulled us from the water, why?" Steve's voice came out strained eager for answers that Bucky wouldn't say. Not because he didn't want to but he genuinely didn't know and that's what he told Steve.

"I don't know," he shrugged slightly.

Marci believed him, but Steve sure didn't, "Yes, you do." Marci could her faint whispers from Steve's coms, she knew it was coming.

"Breach! Breach! Breach!"

____
Woohoo another update y'all
Sorry it's so short but the next one is gonna be a whopper so hopefully you'll look forward to that one!