Chapter 1 - Where It All Starts

I sat in the old, broken down bus. It smelt of sulfur and mud, and I could barely breathe. My iPod blasted Fire by Sleeping With Sirens. It was the first time in a month I had listened to Kellin's voice; it calmed me. Which was exactly what I needed, as I was riding out to the middle of nowhere on this ancient bus, and it broke down. Right now, four other passengers and I sat here, waiting for them to fix it. 

I was in Kansas at the time, so the moisture in the air made sweat bead down my neck. When the aroma of oil and gasoline suddenly replaced the musty scent, we all exchanged looks. Soon enough, some man ordered us off the bus. I had an old bag filled with my needs slung over my shoulder. It strapped right across the chest, and swung down by my hip. I also carried with me a worn, black, leather guitar case. It held a gorgeous acoustic guitar in it, along with an aged pick. My baby, in other words. 

As I leaped down to the dirt road, and dust exploded from the impact of my black, original, knee high converse, I switched to another Sleeping With Sirens song. If You Can't Hang. The air got caught in my throat but I continued to walk away from the bus. I came to a spot in some wheat field, and sat. I didn't mind if my favorite pair of torn, ragged jeans got dirty. I was wearing a Asking Alexandria shirt, and it fit very loosely. The sleeves had been longer, but were ripped and torn off roughly. My black hair wasn't in the usual style. It was much softer, and straight. And flat. It was pulled into a careless ponytail. I didn't take time to  put on my extensions, so it was much thinner than usual and also not nearly as long. My pale skin was hit by the little sunlight that escaped from behind the grey, stormy clouds that loomed over the country side. I pursed my pinkish lips, they were also pretty pale. But they were still glossy somehow. My icy blue eyes looked around at the other people. Two men were rushing around, trying to start up the bus. 

No one had a signal. So, we couldn't call for help. How wonderful! I sighed, frustrated, not only with the situation, but the world. Life wasn't fair, now was it? I glanced around once more to see and take in who I was traveling in. There was one other woman, she looks like she was nearly 30. She had a 5 year old daughter, who was laying down on her mother's suitcase, drifting away to sleep. She had a barbie backpack next to her, and then a smaller, pale pink suitcase stood up next to the plain black one the girl was laying on. The woman had light, brown hair. It was put in a tight bun, showing nearly gray hairs. She had on a tight, black business skirt with a white blouse. Her blouse was tucked into the skirt. She had on plain black, flats. Thin-framed glasses stood on her nose, and she had somewhat golden eyes. They seemed dull. Her daughter was a true beauty, though. She had chocolate brown hair that went down to her mid-back. It had a pure, natural wave. As of right now, the right side of her face was laced with hair as the other side has a tight braid that was pinned back. Her eyes really were a light , brilliant golden shade. She came up to my hip, and I was only 5'5". She had the perfect tan, unlike her mother, who had very light toned skin. Her body was already perfect for her age. She had just enough thickness and thinness in all the right parts. She was adorable. The little girl was wearing a cotton dress that was pink and white plaid. She had a small, short white jacket on, the sleeve barely going over her shoulder. it stopped right under where her breasts would be. She had on simple flat, white shoes. They had a strap across the top of her foot, and small, pink flowers covered that strap. Her gentle face was softened in her sleep. 

I glanced at the other people. Two men were on board too, along with the driver. The first man, who wasn't helping, wore a baseball cap, stained t shirt, and faded jeans. Simple, and effective for such a journey. The other man had on some thin hoody, with newer jeans. His hair was dark and long. The driver was bald, with a uniform on. He wore hideous sneakers, and balanced a constantly burning cigarette. A light breeze swam through the wheat, making it waver. 

I unplugged my headphones from my iPhone and decided to make a short video to send to Harmony when I got back to a town with a signal. I sighed, and clicked to my camera/video recorder. I hesitated, but finally let my hovering thumb press record. I sharply took in a breath.