0.| Prologue

" I DO SOME SHIT YOU CAN'T FORGIVE, BUT YOU BETTER GET USED TO IT

" I DO SOME SHIT YOU CAN'T FORGIVE, BUT YOU BETTER GET USED TO IT. I'M A BAD GIRLFRIEND." Duffy Dagny would probably go down in history as an extraordinary Hit Witch, but as she walked out of the Per Se restaurant that Saturday evening, she was sure she could count on adding the worst girlfriend to her track record. Dressed to the nines as she stepped out onto the sidewalk, she had known from the very beginning that the night was not going to end on a happy note. It had all started when her on and off again boyfriend of five years, Andrew Dempsey had called her up with the plans of an elaborate date night. He claimed that he had finally gotten reservations at the exclusive restaurant Per Se and wanted her to place on her best little black dress for the night.

Almost instantly, Duffy could feel her stomach turn at the familiar chain of events that she had experienced before. There was a reason as to why the two were on and off and it had to do with Duffy rejecting Andrew's marriage proposals twice before and that evening, she had delivered the third rejection.

She had felt it coming before they had even arrived at the restaurant as Andrew took to complimenting everything about her, something that a normal person would view as flattering. He went on to tell her that he loved her so much and that there was no other woman in the world that was meant for him. That evening after she attempted to soothe her nerves, the two were sitting in an intimate corner of the restaurant, sitting close together, as Andrew took to whispering all sorts of beautiful things in her ear that brought her to smile and blush. Soon enough, she had forgotten that they were in the restaurant to begin with, as her all her focus and attention was on the man before her.

The things he told her, in her right state of mind, she would be able to see where it was all going. But she was so lost in his words and what he was telling her that she was falling right into it. He wanted to be with Duffy for the rest of his life and with that, dressed in his neat little black blazer, he dropped down to one knee to offer his proposal once more. His green gaze was pleading with Duffy to say "yes" and there was such a large part of her that wanted to, however, as the rest of the restaurant had turned their gaze to watch the romantic scene, they were in for one hell of a surprise as Duffy shook her head.

No.

"No," she whispered to him, watching as his hopeful expression fell as he was crushed for the third time, " I'm so sorry, Andy."

It was like she had suddenly become a villain as she picked herself from the chair and made her way to leave the restaurant, the remaining patrons glaring at her as she strolled past their tables. Sure, she didn't blame them, the situation didn't look good on her behalf, especially since they had been enjoying themselves over the dinner. Even with her fretful thoughts of what was to come, Duffy couldn't deny that her boyfriend was the greatest company to be in. She loved the way he made her laugh, she adored his smile and all his handsome features that were wrapped perfectly with his personality.

The question would always remain, why couldn't she bring herself to say yes when he asked her to marry him?

It was complicated, that's what she told him whenever he called her up the next day after a night gone wrong. Usually, it led to an argument where Andrew would become so upset that he would call off the relationship. Of course, it never lasted very long, the longest they had been separated was only a month before he called Duffy up, apologising and promising her that they didn't have to rush into marriage.