14. | Head Witch in Charge

Duffy felt as though she was being torn apart internally, being ripped by a toxic mixture of anger and sadness over Abhaya's sudden death

Duffy felt as though she was being torn apart internally, being ripped by a toxic mixture of anger and sadness over Abhaya's sudden death. In most cases, one could argue that an Auror was supposed to be prepared for anything and that included death, whether it was their own or the loss of another's life. Yet, it had happened so quickly, just the explosion itself and Duffy had yet to let it settle in her mind that it had actually happened. How could Abhaya lose her life in such a way when they had faced danger all across the spectrum before and she had walked away without a scratch? It didn't make sense, after decades of being elite, Abhaya was the Auror that everyone wanted to be and the one that Duffy had looked up to, even if she was often intimidated by the woman's presence.

She had only been dreading the time of when Abhaya finally retired as Head Auror, it never once crossed her mind that she would have to say goodbye in a completely different way. Not only that, but Duffy couldn't help but think of Abhaya's daughter and husband that were left behind. They had probably fled the city under her direction and had no idea what had taken place. Duffy didn't even want to be the one to tell them, simply because she knew she wouldn't be able to get it all out without blubbering all over the place. However, she had been the last one to speak with Abhaya, so she knew it was her responsibility out of the respect for her late mentor, boss, and friend.

While Steve had pulled her away from Abhaya's body, he had also lifted the older woman from the street and brought her over to where Duffy was, allowing her a moment to mourn in private. He had offered his sincerest apologies for her loss but of course, it had not made her feel better. Nothing could at that moment unless Abhaya sprung back to life in her arms which wasn't going to happen.

As useful as magic was, even it couldn't beat death.

"I need...I need to get her to the other Aurors," Duffy sniffled before looking over in Steve's direction, " I can't leave her out here, I can't leave her body out here with those damn monsters running about. She has a daughter and a husband, they have the right to have her body to mourn. So I need-"

"We will manage this, Ms Dagny, " another voice chimed in, bringing Duffy and Steve to look over in confusion. Steve didn't recognise the group of people that stood before them, but Duffy seemed to as she rose to her feet. There seemed to be a hint of a smile that appeared on her face, almost relieved to see them all, but at the same time, she appeared devastated to face them.

"She's gone," she told them, " there was an explosion and...and I was too slow. I'm so sorry."

They didn't seem to hold any blame over her head as some of them came over to offer her a hug, while one of the larger men lifted Abhaya's body off the ground and disapparated from the scene. When the hugs were over, Duffy went to turn to Steve to get back to the others but Steve stopped her and made her turn back around.

The Aurors that had arrived on the scene were standing around, looking directly at her, leaving Duffy confused. She wondered what they were all waiting on as she didn't have anything else to say to them really. Her lips parted in confusion until one of them stepped forward and bowed his head.