19. | The "M" Word

While Duffy kept her promise to work with the Avengers, graciously being called part of the team, whether she wanted to accept the title or not, she still felt a sense of obligation to her people

While Duffy kept her promise to work with the Avengers, graciously being called part of the team, whether she wanted to accept the title or not, she still felt a sense of obligation to her people. It meant checking in on Abhaya's family, her widowed husband, and her daughter that were both grieving the loss. It was difficult to think that the girl would have to be entering her fourth year at Ilvermorny after losing her mother, but Duffy had faith that Ilvermorny would accommodate her and all of the students that had been affected by the attack on New York City.

However, there seemed to be a stir within the wizarding world, a curiosity that was piqued, especially by the likes of Duncan as more questions came to his mind after the experience. There were No-Majs that were enhanced with abilities that went beyond some of their magic. Such as Bruce and his ability to turn into the Hulk, as it reminded the two of lycanthropy quite a bit. Of course, werewolves had no choice but to change under the full moon, but Bruce sometimes didn't have control over the Hulk and it was something that had plagued his life.

But Duncan was on to something and he made a discovery that he wanted to bring to her attention, even if she had turned down the position of Head Auror. She wasn't exactly tied to MACUSA anymore as an employee, she was just a resource for them to call upon if needed and right now, Duncan needed her.

"I was going through these documented cases," Duncan told her, " in the filing office and look at all these cases of No-Maj-borns."

The two were hunched over her coffee table in Duffy's apartment as Duncan arrived unannounced that afternoon, showing up as Duffy was preparing to leave and head over to Andrew's apartment to speak with him. However, when she opened the door after he knocked, he came barrelling in with a stack of files that he needed her to see.

"Yes, Duncan, there have been plenty of cases of them, we tend to have a much bigger population than other countries, we're bound to have more of them here in the States," she told him, " myself included, remember?"

"No, you don't understand, Duffy," he said, " these No-Maj-borns are different."

"In what way?"

"You know the Quill of Acceptance, correct?"

Duffy remembered back from her schooling, the discussion of the Quill of Acceptance that was in place of every country. It was a quill with the special properties that would write down the name of every child born with magical abilities, allowing them to be sorted to the appropriate magical schools within their country.

"Yes, of course, what about it?"

"Well, these No-Maj-Born profiles were placed off to the side inside the filing area, not with the others. None of these No-Maj-Borns even have wand permit numbers. I had to look them up and it got even crazier, their names were never written down by the Quill of Acceptance, their names are not written down in the Books of Admittance. From Ilvermorny and all around, their names don't show up, it was like they didn't exist, but we have profiles of them."