13.| Witch Down

Getting back on her broom after going so long without any sort of flight practice proved to be a challenge for Duffy beyond anything else at the moment, which was saying a lot considering she was surrounded by aliens that wished to see the planet ...

Getting back on her broom after going so long without any sort of flight practice proved to be a challenge for Duffy beyond anything else at the moment, which was saying a lot considering she was surrounded by aliens that wished to see the planet destroyed pretty much. However, she knew that in order to help to the best of her abilities, she had to take to the skies as well and try to take out as many Chitauri aliens that were attempting to flood the city. Lifting one leg up and over her broom, Duffy prepared to mount, the humour gone from her expression after Tony had referred to her as Kiki. But Tony and Clint were already gone as the action had been put into place.

After telling Clint or as Tony referred to him as "Legolas" to clench up, they took off with Tony dropping Clint off on one of the rooftops to manage the skies with him. Duffy looked to the others and they seemed to be waiting on her before Steve gave anymore instructions. After hearing how much she truly hated flying, they looked as though they doubted her ability to fly the broom, either that or they were just in the shock that she was going to fly it, because they thought it was just a stereotype of witches.

With a heavy sigh and a tight grip around the handle of her broomstick, Duffy proceeded to kick off the ground and found herself flying through the air. The first couple of minutes could only be viewed as tragic, she looked worse than a first year Ilvermorny student attempting their Flying Classes, leaving her highly embarrassed as she could hardly steer herself in the right direction. She knew in order to actually fight the Chitauri, she was going to have to manage her broom with only one hand so that the other could hold her wand.

But after nearly colliding with a side of a skyscraper, Duffy realised it was probably not one of her brightest moments to believe she could overcome a fear that had plagued her for years just in a moment of chaos. She blamed Hollywood and muggle movies that portrayed people getting over their fears whenever they were faced with a bigger challenge, they all made it look so damn easy. She didn't feel the push that allowed her to overcome the hump that practically paralysed her with fear. She didn't feel any sort of motivation, even if she did talk up a bigger game on the ground.

All Duffy could feel at the time was pure fear, she wanted nothing more to land and remain on the ground until her entire body stopped shaking.

But then, she thought about people like Tony, Natasha, and Clint, how fearless they were in the face of danger and yet, none of them had any sort of enhanced abilities. They didn't carry magic, they were enchanced by any sort of serum or experiment gone wrong, they had been people who had build themselves to become what they were. Duffy wasn't downplaying the others, but she was admiring the other three for what they were able to accomplish within themselves.

Tony had built a suit that gave him the ability to fly and fight, Natasha didn't need a suit to beat the living hell out of creatures from another planet, she didn't need a serum or anything else either. She was deadly all on her own and Clint, despite the odds that people probably held against him due to his hearing loss, he was amazing. His marksmanship was impeccable and no one could take that away from him.