16. | It's Nothing Personal

Upon in the Stark Tower, the group called the Avengers assembled together in front of Loki, who was pathetically still tied up, with a pumpkin over his head

Upon in the Stark Tower, the group called the Avengers assembled together in front of Loki, who was pathetically still tied up, with a pumpkin over his head. Duffy joined her team of Aurors, a smile on her face as she looked all too pleased with herself that the task was finally completed. The Chitauri had been destroyed, Loki had been captured, and the Tesseract had been found and was hopefully returning to a safe place. It was all over and while Duffy was glad to know that the chaos had finally come to an end, she still found herself with a bittersweet swelling inside her chest.

Looking over in the direction of the group, only knowing them for a short period of time, she knew that their time together was coming to an end. She was given strict orders that when it was all over that the team was to be obliviated. And while she didn't think that anyone from the group would intentionally expose the wizarding world, they had to keep their precautions. Already, magic had been exposed plenty in order to keep New York City standing after an alien invasion. Sure, the President could work it out with the other countries with his reasoning as to why he had broken the Statute of Secrecy, but it didn't save the people in front of her.

Soon enough, they would have no knowledge that Duffy or Duncan had been present at all. It would be like they were never there and the people that had been saved in New York would only be given the memories of being saved by the heroes that stood across the way. The witches and wizards that had interfered would be forgotten, taking no claim to anything of what happened or how they assisted.  That killed Duffy internally, not because she wanted to parade around and gloat that she had helped save the world, but more or less, show people that magic wasn't this evil unleashed upon the world.

Witches and wizards were everyday people with their own families and lives, they simply had magic and it was really the only thing that separated them. If people reacted in a positive manner, Duffy would have liked to see magic no longer be looked at as a bad thing when it came to No-Majs. That it was more or less a rather normal thing that some people had and some people didn't. It would remove the barrier that had plagued the two groups for so long and maybe then, things would be better.

Duffy wouldn't have to worry so much about having to tell Andrew that she was a witch and worry about his reaction. Instead, it would be something easily discussed as any other topic. But that was wishful thinking and now was not the time for it all. She watched as the group approached Loki, all of them armed and ready to beat the hell out of him if he tried anything else. With the use of her wand, she removed the pumpkin so that Loki was facing all of them, able to see the look on their faces that was begging him to try something else.

He looked uneasy, perhaps slightly remorseful, but Duffy didn't believe it for a second. She had to believe that he was the God of Mischief for a reason. He peered up at them, noting that all the wands in the room were also being pointed at him under the direct orders of Duffy, so at any given second, there was a possibility that he could be turned into a full pumpkin, rather than just his head.