~Chapter Three~

Chapter Three; Temporary Home

-

We arrived at his father's cottage, which sat outside the dark forest. Milos Ryall was this strangers name, he said 'Milos' was simply a nickname, but refused to reveal the entirety of his name so I let slide. We stood outside the cottage, dark green moss climbing the wooden walls as light drifted through the windows. 

"Milos," I started, "You know I'm not from around here right?" I started, choosing my words carefully. I felt like I could trust him. 

"Obviously, I found you naked in the woods saying you didn't know where you were." He chuckled, his voice shaky with nervousness. 

"I mean, I'm not from here-here," I said, pressing further. Glancing quickly at him to see his brows furrowed. 

"Like, not from this village? Land? Are you from across the water?" He questioned, rattling off suggestions like quickfire. 

"It... it doesn't matter where, because I couldn't honestly tell you without my life being in danger. But I trust you, so I can tell you this much; If your father finds out I'm not from here and tells anyone, I will be hunted and be treated like a lab animal." I said, trying to be gentle, but honest enough for him to understand the deadly nature of his father not finding out.

Milos quickly caught on, "You are from across the sea, stuck on a boat to escape slavery. I found you scared and alone in the forest hiding and you swore if I helped you, you would be forever in my debt." He was quick on his feet, I knew I had found someone that would hopefully, significantly help my future. 

Going with the lie, "I promised to work around the cottage for free stay instead of suffering in forced manual labour." 

He genuinely smiled, before it turned into a cheeky grin, "Beautiful lady washing my clothes, that'll be fun." I chuckled and hit his arm closest to me, my other arm wrapped around my stomach to help preserve the last of my dignity I had left. 

"I guess we should go in" I muttered, "Let's go do this."

~

"So, you just thought that harbouring someone would be a good idea? She was naked, Milodrag! Naked. What would the woman you wish to court found out about this?" He scolded, pacing back and forth in front of Miles. 

I sat in the back, my legs crossed and my arms around my chest clutching Milos' shirt.  

"Please, she promised to work for her stay. Please, father." Milos begged. I could see his father's resolve cracking before he let out a frustrated grunt.

"Fine, but if she doesn't work hard enough for her stay she is out. And you, boy, if this goes badly I will marry you to that pig!" He spat in warning.

"Thank you, sir!" I quickly fell to my knees at his feet. God, I could practically feel my dignity fluttering away out the open door. Be free, dignity! Be free.

"Up." He commanded, "You will call me Mr Lyall until you earn my respect. I do not trust you. So, for now, you will sleep in the stables out the back until I know you won't rob us blind."

Milos went to protest but was quickly silenced. He regretfully looked at me, "Sorry" he said as Mr Lyall walked away and into the yard. 

"What do I do?" I questioned, glancing at  looking around the dirty house, "I mean, where do I start?"

~

It had taken me nearly four hours to finish cleaning the dust away, mopping the floors with a mop I've never seen before- and was extremely difficult to use-, and fixing the bed sheets on every bed in the house.

The house was small, at the front door holding a small archway that hung over protecting whoever stood at the door from the elements. Walking inside walked into the kitchen and sitting room. 

To the left sat a fireplace, in front sat two large grand chairs with a soft knitted pillows sitting on top. The chairs were by far the most expensive item in the household. Between the chairs sat a table holding a large candlestick sitting in its metal holder, and two olden books

To the left sat a simple kitchen. In the middle sat a simple table, and on both sides sat long wooden hairs that stretched from one side to the other. On the table held metal mugs, an empty platter, an empty tin that I bet once held fresh flowers and a small bowl holding exactly three green apples. 

On one wall held a large wooden bookcase that was filled with metal objects. Somewhere filled with food and others were empty. On another wall held a large closed fireplace with a large pot hanging above. Littered across the ground were random objects such as a water pump, buckets, wood holding an axe and flowers. Hanging over the window where herbs and spices drying out. 

The house was beautiful but olden, Milos thought I was joking when I asked what era is what but I assumed it was sometimes medieval.

 I  was told the bathhouse was out the back and the toilet was a small closet-like space that held a hole in a wooden plank that sat over bricks, and a metal bucket beneath. Outside the door hung gloves and a mask. I assumed it was used to change the bucket. Disgusting, by far this was the worst era to live in.

From what mama taught me while she was alive, during the dark ages woman were treated like trophies if they came from a high-class family. Those who didn't... lived in the scums living horrid lives. The kings were greedy and fought in wars, forcing men to fight for him while greedy kings sat on the sidelines eating food and being lavished. What I learned from books when Mama died were worse, woman were taken and brutally assaulted, forced into slavery or had to spend all day breeding and looking after children. 

It was disgusting and I was beyond horrified that I had hopped into the realm, but as much as I wanted to leave, I had to look for mama. 

-