~Chapter Fourteen~

Chapter Fourteen; Three Fates

-

I wasn't quite sure if days had passed, or these hours had seemingly stretched into infinity. I was ready to give up my grasp on my sanity, but I knew I was going to need it for whatever reason I had talked myself into.

I wonder how many women were left? How many bruised and battered woman clutching onto what was left of their sanity. I don't know how they could last this long, I wasn't even sure how I lasted this long. 

I couldn't even blame fate. Because I was solely the owner of my course through life. I've known for years that whatever happened or will happen, was because I drifted realms. Fate themselves cannot control the path I walk when I refuse to stick to a single realm. Their powers work for being's of one realm- and as I am one of many realms, they cannot plot my destiny. Simple as that. I can remember it like it was yesterday- perhaps in their realm, it was.

~

"Lyla Millis" The woman croaked, her frailed old hands clutching a long strand of the cloth-like object, unaware that a young woman had travelled through time and space and appeared in their realm- untouched and forbidden by the God's. 

No one, but three old women and a magnificent tree sat upon the untarnished ground, a small door built into the unblinking house. The sky evermoving of thousands of colours- so quickly it sat almost still and solid, the colour so pure and refined that only the unadulteratedly uncorrupted and innocent may view it as it is. And that she was, awoken by the soft touch of the breeze tickling her face, she gazed in awe at the tranquillity of this realm, her hands clutching the soft dirt ground as it too moved with the wind. It was almost as if you could blink and the ground would seem as if it was one colour, but which you could not define, and the longer you hold your eyes open- the more you could see. 

Soft but firm hands clutched the door handle, pulling it to open with a quiet click. Moving seemingly unnoticed, she observed the old women, watching as they quickly conjured thin, coloured cloth and tightly wove them together. The little girl was new to counting, but she firmly counted five pieces of cloth. Each new set of cloth, once completed, would disappear into the abyss and they'd start again. 

Unfortunately, the child and her cofounding childlike curiosity got the better of her, and she spoke up.

"What are you doing?" She spoke, clutching the door handle in her right hand as she twirled her curly red hair in the other. Of course, the Fate's had never actually encountered a being before, their realm so closed off from the reality other's lived, so untainted by human interaction- if you could call Alannah that. 

The Fate, in shock, jumped to their feet, their legs shaking from the abrupt kinetic movement as their joint's kicked into action.

"Child" They spoke in unison, their voice unused and croaky. 

"What is it?" She asked, letting go of the door handle to point at the thin cloth that dangled from their hands. She quickly walked forward, her tiny hand clutching onto one of the Fate's as she innocently gazed upward. 

"Destiny." They spoke again, six eyes gazing down at the unfazed child. 

"How?" She asked- like any child would as she reached to touch the string, watching as they softly pulled it out of reach. 

Fascinated, they sat down. The child resting at their feet, their chairs angled facing a large fireplace that glowed the room. 

"Five strings for fate,

-One for gender-" They spoke in sync, each crafting a large but thin cloth, the child's- Little Alannah- eyes widening in awe. Each cloth one of three different colours,

 Blue- for a baby boy,

 Pink- for a baby girl, 

Green- for a mix between. 

"-One for purity-" Each Fate brought about another piece of cloth. One completely pure and white; one that starts off white and slowly fades into a grey- ending as it started; and the final, white as snow, that fades almost immediately into a pitch black. All pure to begin with. 

"-One for the soul to bond with-" The Fate's brought about one of three colours again, this time- tipped with a unique design to match with their soul mate's cloth. Unique to each pair, only two of a kind. 

"-One for the gift of life-" They spoke, this time, each cloth a different length. Each symbolizing the length in which each being shall live. 

"-Finally, one for the path they shall live." The cloth a whispering gold. Their hand's slowly raising as each cloth is suspended in thin air, side by side as they all began a soundless chant as their hands closed in, each cloth intertwining into a lengthy braid before dispersing into the air. 

Instead of beginning again, they slowly turned, their heads tilting as they gazed down at the child.

"Wow," She whispered, eyes wide before she let out exclaimed, "Do it again!". 

~