~Chapter Seventeen~

Chapter Seventeen; Luciana 

-

She paced her bedroom, thoughts spinning and weaving in her mind. 

How many people had died for her to be here?
How many more will die?
What now?

She felt like she was panicking, her air constricted in her lungs as she heaved for air, her hands resting on her knees as she hunched over.

~

I was so selfish. I had let people die because I didn't want to leave without finding my mama. I let people die. They were two feet away from me rotting in cells while I lived. 

"How dare you?!" I screamed; I was talking to myself. No one was here but it felt so fucking good to direct my anger somewhere, even if it was out to the open air.

"You failed!" I couldn't stop, I picked up the nearest vase and threw it at the wall; my teeth bared in anger. I could hear hurried footsteps approaching my room that sat off in the west wing of the castle. 

We- Luciana Arewe, 'blondie' and I- were escorted to our rooms after an almost silent dinner. It felt like we were secured with shackles as we were escorted up the luxurious staircase- that stood on either side of a long hallway- in front of a grand doorway; guards posted at either side of the door. More guards roamed each hallway-  their silver swords dangling from their hands as they plastered a stoic expression across their face.  Even now as I destroyed my room, I had three guards that stood three feet away from my door, lining against the long hallway. 

The room was luxurious, a grand bed that sat against the wall opposite the door. A two doored closet that nearly covered an entire wall. Two fur lined chairs sitting next to each other in front of the bed- a wooden table sitting between the chair that held a candle and a novel. Another main feature of the room was the floor-to-ceiling grand fireplace, that sat next to the door. 

However, it wasn't the only door in this bedroom. In one corner next to the bedside table sat a door with a simple tub and a wooden chair with a hole cut out in the bottom. It daunted Alannah to use the restroom but she knew she would have to use it sometime. Finally, the only other door sat on the other side of the bed, exactly like the last, it sat next to the bedside table. She was told it was the door to the adjacent room. However, it had remained tightly closed until now. 

'Until now?' Alannah's head quickly snapped back to the door, just in time to hear it-

"Feral. Utterly feral. You're like a rabid animal, no one but us is here. You need to be locked up." Great. Perfect. Luciana. Who could have guessed?

"Get out." I was shaking with fury but my voice was a calm. Too calm, and Luciana noticed that because she quickly scattered from the room, her nimble hands slamming and locking the adjacent door, just in time for mine to burst open, the same three guards rushing in. 

"You!" One shouted, "Come with me." His eyes squinting in fury. It was like he was the one that had to clean it up- it matters not to him. 

"Get out. Get out. Get out!" I had it. I was so done with everything. 

"I wanted five fucking minutes alone to breathe!" ...and let my anger out- but that part was irrelevant. 

The guards didn't have it, they stormed their way towards me, shackling my arms behind my back with a thick chain they carried on their persons. Perhaps I was far more a prisoner than I thought. Two guards, thick chains, weapons trained on me. Not like I was strong enough to fight back. I had already exerted all my energy on trashing my room.

Alas, I was tugged out of my thoughts- quite literally- by the harsh guards that pulled me out of the room, ignoring my verbal protests. 

"Hey! Watch it- Stop that at once! Where are we going?" I, however, was ignored. 

'Olden-day men are so rude. No manners' I thought with a huff as flicks of my pinned hair fell across my face. 'Oh, come on!' 

~

I stood- alone- outside an office door. My feet shuffling nervously as I stood in the empty hallway. The guards had walked me in, unshackled me and exited the hallway, shutting the double-doors behind them. Was I supposed to wait here or enter? I was beyond confused. So, I knocked. 

"Enter."

That terrifying voice, so deliciously husky that shook me to my core. Words could not explain the emotional turmoil he made me feel. It was as if he was Lucifer himself, a devil wrapped in an angel's disguise. 

Someone send me strength.

I opened the door, my toes un-curling and re-curling in my shoes. I was nervous- as if it wasn't obvious already. 

"Sit." Another order, a single word but yet the hairs on my arms rose. 

"Like on the floor or-" I was cut off as he slowly tilted his head up, his eyebrow-raising- "Yep, okay; sitting down now." I mumbled, sitting down with my hands twisted in my lap.

"My reports say you trashed your room." There was no room for questions, he knew what was done. 

"Yes." I curtly answered.

"Yes, sir." He corrected with a snap. 

"I'm sorry- Yes, sir." I quickly answered, my voice shaking. I have killed people, watched my mother die in my arms and been tortured for weeks but this terrified me. He terrified me.

"You disrespected me. You disrespected my rules." He stated, his head slowly tilting to the side as his eyes raised to meet mine.

"I was angry..." I mutely defended myself.

"You wish to be queen but yet you act like the runt of a tribe. How am I meant to train you to become queen when you haven't yet grown up from this childish phase you are in." He snapped, his once calm and collected voice gone as his anger surfaced. 

"You forced me here, I don't want to be queen" I wanted to say, but instead I struggled to find the words.

"I am- I don't" I sighed in frustration. "I've been tortured for days and none of my wounds has been healed or tended to. I cannot be queen if I am dead from infections." I stated, my head rising so my chin was levelled with him. I would not let him win this, I couldn't continue showing him my weaknesses. 

"You're very right there, Indeed. I will send a healer to your room at once. After you have been healed, we begin the training. Leave." He ordered, his eyes leaving mine before he continued his work, his hands flicking through parchments as he wrote on dotted lines with his quill. 

I have no idea what just happened. 

~