~Chapter Thirty-Four~

Chapter Thirty-Four; Memories

~

"Mama, I'm old too now!" I protested, my hands on my hips, my chin raises as I squinted my eyes up at her. 

She stood outside our house, a basket in her hands as she insisted I waited inside as she went searching for harvestable. 

"No, darling. It's too dangerous." She was firm but gentle. Her eyes indicating me to go inside, but I remained where I stood, I was stubborn. 

"I wanna help!" I insisted, brushing my curly red hair out of my face as the wind blew. 

"You don't know what plants to pick, there are dangerous ones, and I don't want you to get sick. It's for your own good." With that, she urged me inside with a gentle push. 

"No! I am big now, mama! I wanna help!" 

She let out a sigh, glancing towards the sun as it slowly began its descent.

"Alright, but you have to stay by my side the entire time. And don't touch anything I don't tell you to touch. Understand, little lady?" She had a slight giggle to her voice as she mimicked my stance, she could never truly be firm with me. My spirit as wild as hers was, and in half the form. 

I let out a big smile, racing towards her now outstretched hand. 

"Yes, mama. Let's go!" I shouted in glee as I began to tug her forward in a mad dash. 

"Slow down!" 

~

A loud 'thump!' echoed throughout of small cottage. I shrieked in shock, jumping up.

"It's okay! I'm sorry, my hands were shaky." She chuckled, before clearing her throat.

I slowly walked over, peering around the table to see a bucket of water tipped over on the floor.

"Mama, there is water everywhere!"

"I know, darling. Help me clean it up?"

~

"I need some quiet time, how about you go place in your room?" She said, laying down as she rubbed her temples. 

"But, I wanna play with you, mama." I insisted, holding out my handcrafted dolly. 

"Mama isn't feeling so good right now, we can play later." 

I grumbled, before nodding my head. Marching out of her room while talking to myself. 

"She'll play later, okay?" I whispered, gazing down at my dolly.

~

"Mama," I began, my attention taken away from the clothes I was attempting to fold, "Why you so sleepy?" I asked, my bottom lip pouting as I glanced up at her. 

She let out a slow smile, her weak eyes blinking towards her from her resting position. 

"I don't know, baby. I must have the c-cold." She raised her weak hand to brush the dust off her now pale skin. 

"I'll make you soup, mama!" I rushed out, quickly jumping from my seated position to race towards the kitchen but was stopped when she grabbed my hand. 

"Darling, I need to talk to you." She coughed, her hand resting tightly on her stomach. 

"But, mama-"