~Chapter Sixteen~

Chapter Sixteen; Salvatore 

-

She sat a high table, a thick tablecloth tickling the tops of clothed thighs. 

She wore a long dress, a deep purple dress that trailed down her legs and arms. Reaching to the tips of her toes and fingers in an embroidered design. 

The table she sat and could easily hold 30 men and their wives. Large candlesticks sitting at different points along the table, needing multiple to light up the room. 

Alannah sat at one end of the magnificent table, and at the other sat a pristine woman, her long golden tendrils sitting curled on her head. She wore a long white dress and had an almost angelic look- if not for the sadistic glint in her eye. She gazed down at Alannah as if she was already the Queen, her hands perched on her lap with her head tilted tauntingly to the side. 

Her ruby red lips pursed in almost a mock like she held a secret against Alannah. But of course, Alannah was not afraid. She had stared worse in the eye, and not even the harshest glare could rattle her.

So, Alannah just fluttered her eyelash in an almost 'Try me' way. The silent duel would've continued if it wasn't for the King himself entering the room. 

"My, my, don't you both looking lovely this fine evening?" His husky voice broke the silence; his black, leathered clothed shoe clicking towards the table as he gently rested his hands on the closest chair. Alannah didn't even have to turn her head, she could just tell his silent, armed guards were slinking in the shadows. 

"Perhaps this evening would have been just the tad finer if you showed up on time?" The woman bit, she wasn't used to waiting. The king bit back a sneer, his dislike forming already for the impatient woman. The King did not care for being scolded, he was the master of this kingdom and was going to be treated as such. 

"Get on your knees" He snapped, his head tilting to look down at her. 

"Pardon?" She asked, her blue eyes squinting in confusion. 

"Knees!" He barked, his silent guards stepped forward, ripping the chair from under her, watching expressionless and she dropped to the floor. 

"My King?" She asked as she rested on her hands and knees. 

"This is where you belong, you are nothing but a common wrench. Dare disrespect me and you'll permanently be on the floor." His voice held no emotion besides fury, his hands clenched. 

"I-I'm sorry, your majesty" She cried, "Forgive me." With that, she tilted her head up, batting her lashes as droplets of water dripped down her face. It was an act. Alannah could just tell.

She sat perched on her seat on the floor, her hands clasping a wine goblet as she connected eyes with the King. She slowly took a sip, her eyes never breaking before she rose to her feet, placing the goblet back onto the mahogany table. 

"You're majesty." She curtseyed, her nimble hands gently twisting the skirt of her dress in her hands as she lowered herself to the ground. 

"Rise". His voice held interest. She was quiet, but her presence was as loud as a lions roar, but she held the power to be unseen. So fascinatingly contradictory that it spiked his interest, and that was hard to do nowadays. 

"And what be your name?" He asked, slowly stepping closer towards her, his hand softly skimming over the tips of each chair as he walked closer, almost as if he was taunting her to react in fright. But she didn't, she simply picked up her goblet and met him halfway. 

"Alannah. But you can call me 'Al'." She spoke, her voice failing to sound seductive, so obvious that even the golden-haired women sniggered. It repulsed Alannah; days of resentment and pure unadulterated hatred brimming beneath the surface. 

"Thank you for joining us, Alannah. It's a pleasure to have you" His lustful voice coated each word as if it was honey. 

"Pleasure is all mine," She 'purred' or what she would hope it sounded like. The King didn't even notice, of course; he was entranced by her unique beauty. So unlike anything he had ever seen in his kingdom. 

She was so unused to being feminine, used to running in the rain and playing in the mud. But today, it was an entirely new challenge. She had to curtsey and speak softly, she had to make herself seem delicate. She was trained to be anyone, to be anything but this was almost impossible. It was far outside her norm and it almost frightened her. She wasn't doing a good act, it was obvious to everyone who was naturally feminine, but she hoped the King wouldn't notice. She had to fool him. 

So, with that, she delicately reached out her hand and held it in the air, waiting for his response. She looked up expectantly, her eyebrows raising in a playfully daring motion.

"My, my. You have me entranced." He whispered, his voice husky with evergrowing lust as he clasped her hand in his. He quickly tugged her forward, startling Alannah just enough that the facade almost broke, if not for the fact that he gently lifted her hand to his mouth and gave it a tender kiss. "Call me Salvatore".

 "Call me Salvatore"