~Chapter Thirty-Six~

Chapter Thirty-Six; The Banquet

~

..."Of course, my King."

~

I had allowed back into my room, however, now each window and door had been bordered up. Constant guards posted outside my door and hourly check-ins.

I was on lockdown until I was wedded. I was a flight risk and a danger.

I had made minimal progress on the novel. Dread filling my body at the thought of even humouring the fact that I could fail.

Humouring the fact that if I do fail, my entire reality as I know it will crumble, and my one chance to possibly turn this around could end in ruin.

But I had to push that thought aside because doubt is a distraction that I didn't need. I already had enough distractions as I needed.

The door tugged open, a voice softly calling 'knock knock' as they entered. For once, it wasn't Mother Edna, her unwelcome face greeting me every hour to inspect my room.

Instead, it was a dark, curly-haired maiden wearing a deep violet dress that trailed to her toes. Next to her stood my usual maid, carrying an armful of stacked dresses of every colour.

"Blessed day, isn't it?" She spoke, a large smile on her face before glancing around the room, her smile decreasing significantly as she took notice of the windows.

"Right..." She paused, "Well, nonetheless, I bring joyful news!" The smile greeted me again, her deep eyes meeting mine as she awaited my reaction.

"Alright," I said nonchalantly, "What is it?"

Her lips pursed, before an obviously painted smile coated her face again. She was far too perky for my liking, but I mused her. A fake smile of my own spread across my face.

"The King has given you permission to choose your own dress!" She squealed, clapping her hands enthusiastically.

I nodded my head and began sarcastically clapping.

"Woah, given me permission! Oh, I am so lucky!"

She finally gave up, letting out a huff before crossing her arms.

"You have the chance to be the Queen. Ridiculous." She spat, before turning and leaving, she was obviously humiliated, and it made me feel bad. Perhaps I had been too cruel.

"Alright- come back! I'm sorry." I apologised, my hand reaching out for her so she wouldn't leave. 

She turned around slowly, doubt clouding her features.

"Those dresses are very... vibrant." I attempted to compliment, hoping this would lure her in.

It did, as a smile appeared once again.

"Oh, yes. From the fashion designer herself- Edelle Brodeur. She designed them all, just for you. I am absolutely jealous." She rambled, picking up the dress off the top of the maid's hand and demonstrating.

The dress was very... yellow. The sleeves reaching the hands, the chest piece dipping low. The designs. It was almost literally the ugliest dress I had ever seen, but she fussed over it. Pointing out every 'feature' and design.

"Let's get to work. You're trying on all of these." She stated, handing me the first dress.

Someone give me strength.

~

It was time, the Royal Banquet had been announced it was open for guests, and as they piled in, I was piling my body into a tight corset. My lungs struggling to breathe as she continued to tighten it.

"Suck it in!" She hollered as she stood from the sidelines, watching as the maid tugged and pulled at the strings.

With one final heave, the strings were tied and the dress was slipped over my head. A modest, but fashionable darkened red sleeved dress, with a black panel that supported my breasts. Each of the linings of the dress had black lace embroidered.

Just as the final touches were done, a heavy knock resounded from the door before Salvatore entered. He wore his finest clothes, his hands decked with lavish rings and a smug smile coated across his face.

"Now, don't you look like a true Queen." He spoke.

"My King!" The maiden squealed, curtsying deeply before gazing deep upon his face.

"Young maiden, will you be joining us this evening?" His usual venomous tone was gone, now it held utmost respect and dignity. As if he hadn't ordered hundreds to die by other's hands.

"Oh, I do hope so. My father rarely lets us attend usual banquets, but as it is yours, I doubt he would want to reject." She blubbered out.

"Indeed. Excuse us." He grew quickly bored, dismissing her as quickly as he had acknowledged her.

Her face fell, before she scuttered out of the room, the maid following suit.

As the door shut, the King's face fell from polite to serious.

"If you dare embarrass me in front of my people, I will condemn your fate to the cellars. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand."

With that, he grasped my elbow and tugged me along towards the banquet  

~