~Chapter Six~

Chapter Six; Chaos

-

I had lost track of how many nights it had been since we last went into town, but when Milos came home his face was heavily flushed and his eyes held an urgent panic. I barely had time to greet him before he rushed into Bayard's room with a harsh slam of the door behind him, leaving me in a confused mess.

"My day was great, thank you for asking," I muttered under my breath as I sweeping the floors. I barely had time sweep the dust into a pile before the door was pulled open, quickly sending any progress I made back into a dusty mess.

"Oh come on!" I growled with frustration, giving up for the moment as I walked over to Milos as he sat hunched over in the chair. 

"What is the matter with you?" I questioned with a huff, turning my head to see Bayard enter the kitchen.

"Can you... sit down for me, darlin'" Bayard softly spoke, his forehead creasing with worry. Confused, I sat down.

Bayard spoke, his hands knotted together as Alannah softly perched on the edge of the wooden seat, her long dress immediately bunching under her hands as she too nervously fiddled. 

"The king..." He paused, unsure of how to word it, "Is a cruel man. Ever since his father died under suspicious circumstances, and he took reign, he has brought hell fury on our town, and every other town on this side of the land. Either significantly increasing our taxes... or taking women for his..." He coughed, uncomfortable, "Pleasure. He is of the age to wed, and in the past has refused to marry as he sees it as weakness.

He has decided now that he is going to take a bride, not of any kingdom from across the land... but from his own kingdom. From the people inside." 

It wasn't like the earth had shattered like a crystal glass, or the world had stopped spinning, Alannah was apathetic, she felt little emotion to the matter. In fact, she didn't care at all. She just wanted to find her mother and leave; as much as she was enjoyed her company, she was not enjoying the house slave role she had resumed. 

"Bayard, are you worried you're going to be chosen to become the new Queen?" Alannah joked her chuckled the only thing to be heard in the tension thick room. Alannah knew it was serious when even Milos didn't even crack a smile. 

"That bad, huh?" She said, the smile draining from her face.

"Worse. He said he is only looking for someone who stands out amongst a crowd. Someone fit to stand next to a cruel king." His eyes briefly glancing at her hair. 

"I don't really stand out, right?" Alannah didn't even need to ask the question. She knew well and true she did. 

"Well It is not like I want to be Queen, so it shouldn't be a problem. Besides, you know I won't be here long." 

"Alannah, listen to me. He is looking for a queen and-" 

Alannah was angry, "I don't care, Bayard. I don't want to be queen." 

"You won't have a choice if you are chosen. Every. Single. Women on this land between the ages of 17-24 will be forcibly taken from their homes to participate. There will be four trials. Every person will be placed in a group of five for the first trial and will fight to the death, automatically eliminating the weakest link. 

The second trial will have groups of five, competing in a trial of intelligence. The women who do not go further to compete will be allowed to go home. 

The third is a trial of endurance, the women will be put through a serious of excruciating tests and the longest two to last will go forward to the final test. Those who do not pass will be terminated on site to rid the kingdom of any who dare challenge the Queen once the trial is complete.  

The final challenge is unknown." 

"