~Chapter Twenty-Nine~

Chapter Twenty-Nine; Save a Child or Save a Village

~

I landed with a loud 'thud'. I let out a loud groan, despite my bones bearing no pain or injuries, my body feels the impact of drifting through realms.  

As I landed on the ground, I ungracefully lifted my head, my eyes slowly adjusting to the bright sunlighten sky. I could hear water, the tinkling of a river bed flowing through the earth as it travelled off into the distance. 

I had fallen next to a river, large looming trees surrounding me, swaying in the breeze as if dancing to a song I could not hear. 

I didn't have time to ponder or explore, I knew I was running out of time.

 Alannah needed me, I needed to find her before she doomed the lives that depended on her. 

The fates had spoken to me, warning me of this great tragedy-

~

"The chosen one will go through great heartache and pain, the one won't stop searching, the one will be given a choice, one will choose wrong. The chosen one will doom them all. 

"Will it be too late?" 

~

I had to find her, I had to find Alannah. She was the chosen one and she didn't have a clue. She could doom thousands with a simple decision. 

But what if they got to me before I could save her...? I couldn't help the thought take over me. 

~~

"What do you mean?" I rasped, my voice quiet as the flickering of the fire lit up her downcast face. 

"They're following me, and once they're done with me. They will be after you. You have to save her, please. For me. It is your duty. What was once mine, is now yours. You are now the Guardian of the Chosen One. 

"I will lead them away, but you must move quickly. Go to the fates and listen to the prophecy. You must have a pure heart. 

"She is counting on you. I believe in you. Now, go!" 

~~

"No!" 

I couldn't help but scream, my voice cutting through the air like a sharpened sword cutting through silk. 

The three guards surrounding me bowed their heads before taking there placed far behind us. Out of sight, but close enough to protect. 

Now, just the King and I stood, facing the Guard with the little girl clutching his hand. 

"Choose." 

Again, that same six letter word was spoken. A demand at high stakes. 

"I can't! It is deranged!" I shouted, tears starting to drip down my face. I could feel my heart pulsating in my chest. My fingers growing numb as I glanced between the village, the child and the King. 

"Choose." 

"No! It is sick, it is wicked!" I couldn't get the facade up, the reality of my situation dawning me. 

"Choose." He wouldn't stop, the monotone voice echoing out, the word coated in evil. 

"Please, I'll do anything. Please don't make me choose... please." I begged, my legs giving out as I dropped to the ground.