~Chapter Thirty-Seven~

Chapter Thirty-Seven; The Queen

~

...With that, he grasped my elbow and tugged me along towards the banquet.

~

It had been a few hours since we had arrived, the King's presence causing a riot of noise to bombard my senses.

However, it did simmer down and now was a lively chat between all the invited Guests. Dukes and Dutchesses, Admirals, Dames and Dukes, Earls and even Ladies in Waiting lined the walls of the castle.

Music played, and maids wondered with platters of food and drinks.

As time simmered on, the King called everyone to silence.

"May I have your attention!" He called out, tapping his glass gently with a knife.

"As you all have heard, I had conducted a tournament with all the elidable women in my Kingdom to find my true Queen. Four trials to deem one woman, the rightful Queen. Strength, Intelligence, Endurance and Mind. Two have survived, one the true Queen.

"Today, my kind people, I shall announce the winner. Dutifully decided by the Royal Court and I. Picked with precision and care." He announced, murmur gathering as he spoke.

My heart began to race in my chest. This was it. This was the moment where everything is decided. The fate of the King, the fate of Luciana, the fate of the people, and my fate.

I couldn't stop myself, my hands clenching together as I began to pray.

'If anyone is out there, God, Gods or Goddesses, please hear my prayer. Please bring me hope, please bring me wisdom, and please bring me safety through my hardships. I need you now more than ever... please.'

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and glanced up, my eyes locking with Lucianna.

We were not in competition anymore. We weren't allies. We weren't friends. But we both shared the same fear dealt by the same man. We both shared the same torment, torture and agony.

Now, more than ever, we both understood it didn't matter. Because in the end, we would both suffer.

"May the two contestants come forward." He spoke, ushering us up.

I let out a deep sigh of anxiety, before stepping forward, my body standing next to Lucianna's before I made the decision.

We would go up together.

With that, I linked my hand with hers, grasping in firmly before gently pulling her forward.

Even if I couldn't say it, we were in this together. It was us against him, giving us the final chance to protest against this. Even if it was silently.

Together, we walked up onto the raised platform, my hand regretfully letting go as I stood opposite side of Lucianna.

"Lucianna, Alannah. You both have completed each challenge heroically and expertly. However, only one can be Queen." His voice loud and gentle, as if he was regretful that he had to do this to us.

"We understand." We spoke in unison, shocking us both but it caused us to hold ourself stronger, higher.

I could see he was struggling to contain his fury, but he continued his facade.

"The winner, of the Tournament Elle-Queen is-" He paused, a vicious smile creeping itself across his face.

Just as the realisation hit me, he spoke the words.

"Alannah!"

The Banquet Hall was immediately filled with loud cheering and voices.

Despite the incredible noise level, it wasn't enough to drown out the voice in my head.

He didn't want a submissive Queen, he didn't want someone who would follow his every want and desire. He wanted someone to fight him. He wanted to force someone to submit, but to know they would never truly submit to him. He wanted someone he could hurt and could take it.

He wanted me.

~