Chapter 18 - When did Jian Yan and Director He...become food buddies?

It just so happened that Jian Yan hadn't brought soup today. She thought that tasting a little mouthful would be enough, but He Xiu straightforwardly ladled her a small bowl.

"Thank you." Jian Yan held the bowl with both hands as she thanked him.

He Xiu said, "There's no need. I have free-loaded several dishes off of you, so I should also reciprocate."

Jian Yan curled her lips into a slight smile and picked up a spoon to taste. A trace of the olives' bitterness had melded into the pork soup. After swallowing, an aftertaste of sweetness remained between her lips and teeth.

"Tasty. Your culinary skills are pretty good." Jian Yan was truly surprised. Although He Xiu had said last time that he also cooked quite a lot, she thought that it was Wang Po selling his melons...apparently, this melon was indeed truly sweet.

Accepting the praise, He Xiu seemed to be a bit proud of himself. "When I was a child, all the food was made by me..." His voice came to an abrupt end. Afterward, it seemed like he had forcibly swallowed his words back into his stomach.

Jian Yan's eyes twitched. She could mentally finish He Xiu's carelessly revealed sentence with a hundred thousand words. She didn't ask any further, however, and pushed her own eggplant to him. She said to him, "I woke up early this morning to make yuxiang eggplant. Try it. I cannot drink your soup for free."

A colleague eating at a nearby table glanced over at them. When did Jian Yan and Director He...become food buddies?

Jian Yan, pinched on time, finished the food within ten minutes. "Director He, I finished eating, so I'll leave first."

He Xiu watched as she packed away her bowl and chopsticks and offhandedly said, "Eating so quickly is detrimental for digestion."

"I can't do anything about it. There are too many people here today at the department store. Having ten minutes to eat is already very luxurious."

He Xiu: "..."

Isn't this covert criticism aimed towards the boss too harsh?

He chuckled and said to Jian Yan, "After this busy spell ends, I'll treat you to another meal."

"Then thank you, Director He." That was only if she was still at Starlight General Merchandise then.

In the afternoon, as expected, she wasn't able to get off work at 3:30PM and could only leave the store at 4:00PM. After returning home, she flopped onto the sofa, not wanting to move at all. Although she had worked overtime before as well, that was overtime while sitting down and expending her eyesight only. Now, she was on her feet the entire day at the store, unable to take a break because she kept having to talk to clients. It really was strenuous work.

That night, she didn't want to cook either.

She took out her cell phone and opened a takeout app to order food. She ordered a pot of her favorite food, .

Just after she finished ordering, Lin Zhen's call came through. "Jian Yan, did you get off work? I'm at Starlight General Merchandise right now. Let's eat dinner together!"

Jian Yan, weakly and without strength, said, "I just got home..."

"...Then you should come out again."

"No thanks..." Jian Yan's lips tilted downward. "You're still going to Starlight General Merchandise to eat? I bet you can't even find a seat to sit."

"Today, all the eateries are giving discounts and have even given out vouchers! I'm already in line!"

Jian Yan: "..."