Chapter 40 - I said sleeping, other services not included.

He Xiu really did drive Jian Yan back home with due haste. Jian Yan had a slight headache, so her car remained parked at Starlight General Merchandise. And yet, when could she come pick it up?

He Xiu said, "Leave it there for now; you can drive it home the next time you come to Starlight General Merchandise."

"What if I want to go out?"

"I can chauffeur you."

Jian Yan blinked. Since Eldest Master He was so enthusiastic about playing the role of a chauffeur, she wouldn't be impolite and refuse. "Oh right, just now in the elevator I heard Xu Ying say that you spoiled her when you were children, and you would even sing for her."

He Xiu near imperceptibly frowned. "She really had the nerve to say that."

"Oh, then in the end did you or did you not spoil her and even serenade her?"

"Of course not, but there was this one time where He Chen grabbed a caterpillar to scare her. She was so scared, she began to cry. The little girl was crying endlessly, and it annoyed me, so I sang a song for her to hear."

"Then...when I feel upset in the future, will you sing for me?"

He Xiu glanced at her and replied, "Singing is nothing; whatever you want me to do is all okay."

Jian Yan: "..."

She coughed drily and then said, "I think Xu Ying regrets it."

"Regrets what?"

"Regrets not choosing you back then."

He Xiu wrinkled his brows and faintly responded, "Oh, what does that have to do with me?"

Jian Yan laughed and didn't say anything.

?

Xu Ying truly was regretful. After she returned home, she complained to her mother, "Mom, I don't want to marry He Chen."

Upon hearing this sentence, Xu Ying's mother's complexion darkened. "You two have been together since you were children. Now after holding an engagement reception with such great fanfare, you say you don't want to marry him. Are you not just making trouble?"

Xu Ying also felt extremely wronged in her heart. Pursing her lips, she looked at her mother. "Can't I regret it? You know quite clearly that the one I liked as a child was He Xiu."

Xu Ying's mother's complexion became even more unsightly. "Xu Ying, speak less nonsense here. Do you realize how things will play out with the He Family if they heard these words?"

"In my childhood, it was precisely you who told me that He Xiu was not Auntie Zhao's child and ordered me not to interact with him anymore."

"So? At that time, the person who was with He Chen was you; the person who is engaged to him is also you. These were all things you yourself did; not one person pressed you into this, right? You now say you regret this, well, too late!"

Xu Ying felt even more wronged at her rant, her eyes reddening a shade darker. Feeling that she couldn't use force against her mother, she instead utilized a spoiled, child-like tone. "Mommy, I understand your intentions. When I was young, you all didn't think highly of He Xiu, so you didn't allow me to interact with him. Now, however, it's different. Uncle He handed over the management of Starlight General Merchandise to him. These past several years, Starlight General Merchandise's turnover has been rising steadily in his hands. Quite a lot of nearby uncles and aunts are becoming increasingly in favor of him."

"That's useless. You're already engaged to He Chen—is it possible that you're thinking of breaking off the engagement? Even if you break it off, did you think He Xiu would just be together with you? Don't be foolish." Xu Ying's mother softened her tone when she said this. Grasping her daughter's hand, she said, "Ying Ying ah, everything father and mother have done are all for you. Even though He Xiu is regarded as valuable now, he has always been... He Chen is your Auntie Zhao's only son. Behind him is the support of the He Family and Zhao Family. How can he be compared as inferior to He Xiu."