01 Summer's Over

He was sitting in a log under the palm tree, looking at the calm ocean as he was deep in thought. He's been doing this everyday for nore than a month already. His mind was only filled with thoughts of that certain volleyball player, the beautiful team captain who captured his heart.

Since that fateful night, he did everything to keep the memories of her in his head. On his first night back in the beach, he walked along the shore and tried to recall the spot where they spent more time sitting side by side, enjoying the sound of the waves and kissing heatedly like two lovers in love. When he thought he found it, he smiled and dug a small hole which served as a marker. When the morning came, he asked his friends to help him carry a small log towards that spot. He said he wanted to have a place where he can sit comfortably as he enjoys the cool sea breeze. Little did they know, he was just creating a special place in the island as a remembrance of that special girl whom he thought by now has probably forgot about him if she wasn't even mad at him.

His heart constricts at the thought but he couldn't do anything about it. Ano nga naman ang magagawa niya eh nandito siya sa Boracay at malamang nasa Manila naman si Nicki. He could only hope that someday their paths would cross again, and that the universe may conspire and let them continue what they've already begun.

For three consecutive days after she left, he's been trying to look for her social media account but luck wasn't on his side. It's either a fan account in Facebook or just a page for all the players of their volleyball team. Even her friend Sheena doesn't have any contact number or couldn't be found on Messenger. He thought that maybe she has a different name on FB or baka super private account. Either way, wala siyang idea kaya naman hindi niya talaga mahanap. Nicomaine/Nicki Mendoza lang naman ang alam niyang name nito. Pati si Carlos di niya alam paano hahanapin dahil hindi naman niya nabanggit yung last name. He doesn't have any other way to reach her. He's so desperate to the point na kahit sana makakilala lang siya ng isang friend ni Nicki, para lang magtanong. Pero naisip din niya, sino ba namang matinong kaibigan ang basta basta magbibigay ng contact number ng friend niya lalo pa sa isang random guy diba? Malamang wala. Even with the resort she stayed in, they couldn't provide him details of her kasi nga it's the management's protocol to protect the privacy of their guests. Kaya hindi na niya pinilit pa. Wala na rin naman siyang magagawa.

So every night since then, while people busied themselves partying, he would walk along the shore reliving that moment when they traversed the shoreline holding hands and exchanging sweet nothings. He would stop on that same spot, sit on the log, close his eyes and breathe deeply as he remembers her pretty face, her beautiful set of mesmerizing doe eyes, her cute little nose, and her full supple lips that curve perfectly when she smiles. Hinayaan na lang niya ang sarili na mabuhay sa kakaunting memories na meron siya. At least pag naiisip niya si Nicki, napapangiti siya. That's all he's ever done during night time until today.

He told himself that today's gonna be different. Instead of just remembering her and the things they've done in a short period of time, he thought that today's gonna be the first day of his journey in finding her. Hindi na niya kayang hintayin pa ang tadhana. Tapos na siya sa kanyang pagmumukmok at panghihinayang. Kailangan na niyang lumaban. Kailangan niyang ipaglaban sa tadhana na hindi pa doon nagtatapos ang kwento nila ni Nicki. Hindi niya kayang tanggapin na hanggang Boracay lang ang lahat. Kaya naman kahit wala siyang kaalam-alam bukod sa pangalan at school ni Nicki, buo na ang loob niya. He will find her and he will explain everything to her.

Kaya maaga talaga siyang gumising at nagmamadali pa siyang nag-ayos ng sarili. Once done, he quickly made his way to the very same spot he's sitting on; his special place. He sat facing the ocean once again, inhaling the cool breeze of the morning, and waited for the sun to rise. Today, he decided to watch the sunrise with a heart full of hope and a mind determined to see her again. Looking at the sun as it peaks through the ocean, he watched in awe how the light slowly creeps in and turns the dark skies into a bright yellow shade. It was truly magnificent and it has always amazed him having this perfect view of the sun and beach. He softly whispered his wishes to the wind as he watched how his surroundings illuminated. He realized that as the sun rises to give light to a new day, today's also gonna be his new beginning. He smiled realizing that there's still hope. As long as the sun shines, he should never lose hope to find her. To see her again. He stayed there for a while even after the sun has risen just thinking positively about the days that will come. And that's how his cousin found him.