14 Gotta Love Sundays

Being friends with the person that you'd rather be in love with has its own disadvantages. So when RJ and Nicki decided to start over as friends, they were faced with such difficulties when it comes to controlling their emotions and handling their own feelings.

It is true that the best foundation of most romantic relationships starts with friendship. But what if there's this undeniable attraction between the persons involved to begin with? Will they be able to control it? Can they really fight it?

The days and weeks went by so quickly as RJ and Nicki get to know each other deeper with constant communication even if they barely see each other. It's like a day wouldn't pass without them talking to each other. It somewhat became a routine for RJ to call Nicki in the morning and wake her up. Then he would sent her messages and check up on her in between classes, and then call again in the evening to ask how her day went and bid her goodnight. That's what usually happens during weekdays as they were both busy with their studies and other extra curricular activities.

But its kind of a different story during weekends. Nicki's entire Saturdays were spent training for the upcoming tournament and bonding with her team. That's why RJ hated Saturdays because he would only receive a few text messages from Nicki in the morning and more often than not, she would missed his call in the evening because she's too exhausted by the time she arrives home. But RJ loves Sundays. Because it's during Sundays that he gets to see Nicki as they spend time together. It has become a Sunday routine for them to go to church and have dinner afterwards. If he's lucky, he would get Nicki to agree to have dessert and coffee with him at the cafe across her condo building until late in the evening.

It was only during Sundays that they get to actually talk about a lot of things face to face. They mostly talked about school stuff, volleyball, friends, their likes and dislikes, and some other random stuff. Sometimes they would even argue about trivial things just because they have conflicting beliefs. But then they would end up laughing at each other's reasoning.

This went on for weeks and RJ couldn't be any happier with the way things are going between them. They are clearly getting to know each other better and he felt that Nicki has been slowly putting down her walls for him. So he was contented with their friendship.

Hay, ang sarap lang sa pakiramdam na I get to spend time with her and show her what she truly means to me without being awkward. Tamang desisyon nga na magsimula ang lahat sa pagiging magkaibigan. At least nakikilala namin yung isa't isa ng mas malalim ng hindi nagkakailangan. Sana ganito na lang palagi.

Little did he know, Nicki has already been feeling the opposite. Lately, she's starting to get confused. True that she's happy because they're getting closer as the days go by but she couldn't deny the fact that she likes RJ. And she's feeling a little sad sometimes because it seemed to her that RJ doesn't want to take their friendship to the next level. Yes, he's been nothing but sweet, caring, thoughtful and all that but she learned not to assume anymore because he's never been vocal about anything more than being friends with her. She's been thinking a lot about what they've been doing lately and she couldn't help but ask herself if this is all they ever could be.

Hanggang dito na lang ba talaga kami? He's been a really good friend since maging okay ang lahat pero why do I feel like there's something missing? He makes me feel really special with all the time and effort he's been giving me. The more I spend time with him, the more I'm falling for him. But ako lang ba toh? Ako lang ba yung may nafifeel more than the friendship? Nalilito na ko! Has he been really giving me mixed signals or namimisinterpret ko lang ang pagiging close naming dalawa? Ang hirap naman idiscern nito, universe!

She didn't want to give meaning to their closeness but she can't help it. Oftentimes, he makes her heart flutter with his actions. But she would always get disappointed with his words after that.