08 The Tune-Up Game

Nicki was completely out of focus for the entire duration of their game. She couldn't perform well because some bedimpled guy who suddenly came back in her life has been bugging her mind. She can't seem to hit the ball on the right angles no matter how good the set was, her defense was truly lost, and her services were either short or outside. This did not go unnoticed by her coach who called her out twice already during the first two sets.

"Nicki, what's happening to you? Hindi ba maganda pakiramdam mo? Kanina sa warm up game with the team okay ka naman ha? But since the start of the tune-up game, you're clearly distracted. Tell me, anong problema?" Coach Patty asked, looking so worried about her team captain.

Sorry, Coach. Wala naman pong problema. Bawi po ako, promise.

"You should. Ayokong mapahiya kahit tune-up game lang ito. We're down by two sets na. Remember Captain, team is counting on you. Rest ka muna dyan, I'll give you two minutes then pasok ka na ulit." Coach Patty firmly said.

When she returned to the game, she seemed more concentrated. She was playing well and she got her bearings back. Yet she made the mistake to look at the entryway connecting to the basketball court and found RJ standing by the entrance who appears to be watching her. Then she lost it again. The team were all having a hard time adjusting to her moves, most specially her best friend Sheena who has been setting the play. When she made a few consecutive errors, Sheena asked for a timeout then excused Nicki from the team and pulled her on the side of the court to talk. She seemed to be frustrated already.

"Nics, ano ba? Nandito ka nga yung utak mo lumilipad naman kung saan-saan! Besh, I need you to focus. Mamaya mo na isipin si RJ pwede?! After the game na lang." Sheena irritatingly said

I know, I know. Sorry I just can't shake the feeling. The fact that he's here inside the campus, much more na nasa basketball court lang siya which is just a few steps away from here, is already freaking me out. Gahd! I thought he's just joking when he said he'll see me today. Nicki answered quite uneasily.

"Hay! Chill lang kasi, ok? Nandun na tayo sa nasurprise kang nandito siya. Malay ba naman natin na sa PCU pala nag-aaral yan. Pero please wag mo muna isipin. Take your mind out of the gutter kahit hanggang matapos lang yung game. Wala pa tayong pinanalong set oh?!"

Yeah, you're right. Bat ba kasi hindi ko siya natanong san siya nag-aaral? I had all the chance last night pero hindi ko naisip. Gahd! Nakakainis!

"Wala na tayong magagawa dun. It's a small world after all. Hahaha! Oh smile ka na, nakakahawa na yung pagkabalisa mo sa loob ng court eh. At please lang besh, pakiayos muna yung laro. We're all counting on you, Nics. Nahihirapan na din akong mag-adjust. Nauubusan na ko ng plays, juskuka! Pigilin mo muna yang pag-ooverthink mo okay? Mamaya na lang after game yan. Lika na, tapos na timeout."

Nicki wrapped her arm around Sheena's shoulder and together they walked back to their team as Nicki thoughtfully said,

Beshie sorry na. Wag ka na magalit.
Promise, I'll try my best.

"Wag mo itry besh, gawin mo. I know you can do it. Gawin mo na lang inspiration kesa distraction. Hihihi!"

Susmadre!

"Sus! Wag ka magdeny. Nafifeel ko naman na dun din ang punta nun in the future... hihihihihi!"

After they had a quick huddle with the team, they went back to the court and continued to play for the third set. The brief talk with Sheena brought Nicki's mindset back to the volleyball game. She had a game-face on as soon as they started the ball rolling again and Sheena couldn't be happier with Nicki now showing her determination to play and win.