(Based off The Purge :)

We sat close together in bed, sitting up, the blue light from the television being the only light source.

"This is your emergency broadcast system, announcing the commencement of the annual Purge. At the siren, all emergency services will be suspended for 12 hours. Your government thanks you for your participation."

I curled up into his chest.

"You're shaking." He said.

I started crying.

"Hey, hey. Look at me. Look at me." He touched my chin. I looked up at him.

"We will be okay. We will survive until emergency services will be open once again and this will all be over. We will survive." He looked at his watch. "Only eleven hours, fifty nine minutes to go."

He firmly placed his arm around me and held me tightly.

My voice shaky, I whispered, "Happy purging."

Time passed in silence. I counted down the seconds in my head.

'47, 46, 45, 44, 43, 42...'

I sighed. I couldn't count away the situation.

"Patrick." His name rolled off my tongue and made me feel secure.

"Yeah?"

"Oh, nothing."

He smiled, "You should get some sleep. It's getting late."

I sighed. "I can't sleep. I've tried that. I've tried everything I can possible do without moving out of this spot."

"Here, come on." He scooted down and settled under the sheets. "I'll try to rest too."

I couldn't sleep. My eyes became dry and irritated as I struggled to see the red numbers flash on the clock.

Patrick breathed softly; steadily.

1:46

1:47

1:48

'If the purge doesn't kill me first, lying here will.' I thought to myself.

Patrick turned over and fidgeted.

He rubbed his eyes and sat up.

"Can't sleep?"

"No...." I frowned.

He thought for a moment. "Would you like some milk?"

My eyes widened. "Are you crazy?" I whispered. "They'll see you. There's a window right next to the refrigerator."

He smiled and rested his hand on my stomach.

My head fell forward onto his shoulder. He held me and kissed my forehead.

"Patrick?"

"Yeah, sweetheart?"

"I'm scared."

"I know."

"I'm going to go insane if I don't do something." I blinked.

"You know how your anxiety gets, just try to stay calm, or you'll put us all in danger." He joked.

I smiled, "I hope not."

He cupped my face in his hands and kissed me.

"I will not let anything happen to you." He whispered.

We lied down again and tried to rest awhile.

I couldn't take this. I started touching my face. Pulling at it, rubbing it. I ripped at my hair. I started making growling noises. I sat up and breathed heavily.