"Moon Wishes."

DISCLAIMER: the cringe train is coming! "All aboard!"

❇️

"You're still up?"

Yes, mom. I am. Isn't it obvious?

You see, every night time, specifically 11:11 pm, I do this:

I stare at the night sky—at the moon—to hope for my soulmate.

It's already part of my life. My grandmother told me about these fate beliefs. She told me about wishing upon a star, waiting for the shooting star to appear, 11:11 wishing, and soulmates. I only love the soulmates and the 11:11 wish but I made this weird childhood activity.

I'm the only person who believes in fate when you stare at the moon and hope for your soulmate.

Some may wish upon the star but here I am, talking to the moon.

I know it's weird, stupid...whatever you call it. But, who cares. It's just for fun as well.

"Mom..." I groaned. She gave me a straight face, crossing her arms over her chest. I rolled my eyes and shrug it off but she didn't leave the balcony yet.

Seriously, I already have my own room. Why can't I just have a little privacy?

"Don't tell me you're still with this 'soulmate' thing—"

"Mom!" I whisper-shouted. Technically, it's 11:00 pm. I come here early before my hoping starts. I don't wish but I hope. It's totally a different thing.

"Okay, okay." she rolls her eyes, turning her heel. "Go to sleep soon," Finally, she left the balcony—my room without a follow-up remark.

I immediately locked the door and went back to my balcony.

I turned my phone on and saw the time. Two minutes have passed.

I'm going to wait.

11:05

As I watch the night sky, I witnessed the cluster of stars. They wink at me whenever I look at them. Sighing, I impatiently look at the time.

Two minutes have passed.

11:10

"Ooh, one minute to go." I laid my elbow on the railings then relaxed my chin on my palm.

11:11

Okay, this is it.

I sighed and watch the moon from above.

"Wherever you are, I hope you're fine. I hope you're doing good. I hope we could see each other someday even if the world doesn't want us to be together. If you can hear me, please give me a sign. I love you so much. I hope you'll answer me back. Good night."

My hoping stopped just in time. It's already 11:12 so I guess it's time to say goodbye. I glance back at the moon with a smile creeping on my face then went inside, sighing in relief. Maybe tomorrow or next day or...I don't even know when...maybe it's to going be the chosen day.

I slowly settled my foot down on the tiled floor. As I was about to slide the door, I heard a voice from a house across me.

I furrowed my eyebrows and pursed my lips. I turn around, scanning the calm town, and saw a figure from the balcony in front of me. Squinting my eyes, I saw a curly-haired person. He's lean and tall yet it's impossible to familiarize his features. The dim seems to conceal his face.

"Someone is still awake? I thought I am the only one." I shrugged.

"Was now," I said softly.

"I can't sleep." he groans.

Well, I can clearly hear him. Our houses are not that far away.

I can finally see his face now, only when he turned his phone. Still, not enough.

I sighed and decided to head back to my room.

The cold wind caressed my cheeks. It tossed my hair back and forth as if it became a whirlwind.

Not until I heard another sound from the stranger, but this time, it was filled with profanity.

"Shit. My beanie." I heard him deeply sigh. I had no idea why I'm trusting my guts right now but it's an instinct to help him so, what do you expect? I called his attention.

Surprisingly, his beanie fell in front of our gate, probably because of the wind.

"Psst." he looks up to meet my gaze.

The weak city lights suddenly brightened the streets including his face. I can finally see his features. He squints his eyes, cocking an eyebrow.

Then a light flashed. He aimed his flashlight at me. I momentarily covered my eyes and told him to stop, and so he did. The blinding light finally disappeared.

He whisper-yelled, "I'm sorry. My beanie fell in front of your—"

"Nah, it's okay. I'll get it for you." I said, smiling at him. I softly rushed inside my room, unclicking my door now. With a short creak, I tiptoed across the hallway. Good thing, mom didn't turn off the lights yet so it really is possible to go down alone.

I went down the stairs to see the lights in the living room and the kitchen.

'Is she here?' I thought.

But no. She isn't there. Not even my father.

I scuff next to the door while scanning the whole room. No one.

"The coast is clear."

Unclicking the door, I opened it softly and saw the beanie laying on the ground. I closed the door behind me and went straight to the green cloth.

"Hey," I flinched.

"Oh, gosh. I didn't see you coming." I giggled. "Here you go."

Those dark curls, freckles, and cheekbones? Woah, he's a god. "Thanks," he replied with a curve forming on his lips.

He took his beanie from my hands and settled in on his head. The curls were squashed although, it suits him more. I muttered, "You're welcome." and waved goodbye, turning my heel.

I felt a fuzzy feeling happening inside me. I turned around to see him doing the same. We smiled for a while before breaking the silence.

"Good night," we said in unison.

And that's it. We had to go. The awkward winds told us to leave and the night sky told us to sleep. I did what the world wants us to do and so I went back with a sigh of relief when I felt my heart jump.

"I'll just sleep this off."