"The Barrier Between Us." [2/2]

DISCLAIMER: The ff characters are aged up.

Present Time:

The sun left a trail of lemon and marigold shades on the rough ground. Its radiance showered the spacious park of Vancouver with a joyful greeting. Raucous children are running around the expansive area and a group of tourists roaming around, watching the sunset.

A lean male settled his bottom down the wooden plank. He leaned against the bench then sighed. A smoke of exhaustion escaped from his chapped lips for when he is atavistic, he would distance himself from reality and go back to the time he met a bonny young woman. Her (h/c) locks ruffled down like beach waves and her sparkling (e/c) eyes remained in his mind. He couldn't forget what she looked like and what she usually does whenever he witnesses her on the same spot he is now sitting on.

Finn Wolfhard looked down, sinking deeply in his thoughts. He remembered the variety of colors of the palette (Y/n) usually holds on her left hand. Red, yellow, blue, green, and white. Those colors are still clear in his mind. He could also hear the brush on her right hand, shuffling against the cloth as it creates a masterpiece.

It was only for a month when these two strangers became close to each other. Finn would usually complement her painting and Y/n wouldn't be breaking her gaze off of the canvas because of the blushy smile she hides. All of that happened in a span of one month. They shared the same genuine and heartful smiles, and that lovey-dovey cliché butterflies-in-my-stomach thing.

Truth be told, Finn Wolfhard drives his clients every morning and sometimes in the afternoon (in other words, he is a chauffeur). He loves the park because of two reasons: 1, he wastes his time reminiscing while waiting for his clients; 2, it's the coziest and the most satisfying place in Vancouver.

But now he met Y/n L/n, the most beautiful female who filled his heart with love. That's the third reason now. He would visit this park because of her.

Until two days ago, and Tuesday greeted him with a hint of disappointment, he witnessed her beautiful face again though only for a short period of time. Unfamiliar faces filled his perspective—a handsome man and an adorable girl—came along with her. That's when he realized Y/n had a family. A small family.

Of course, he was shocked to see her dancing around with her daughter. Finn saw them from afar away but Y/n did not realize he was there, watching her. It was as if those days were the times he became a viewer from an audience. All he did was watch her life play like a movie. He just needs popcorn to complete the show.

Finn ran his fingers through his silky ebony curls, glancing back at the bright orange sky. He rested his feet onto the ground when a high pitch sound resounded at the park. He looked to his right and saw a girl crying. Immediately, Finn approached her since he's right next to the poor injured child. He bent down and scanned for a bruise. A small bleeding cut caught his attention. Finn reaches for the cloth in his pocket before damping it on her skin. Surprisingly, he found a small bottle of alcohol. He carried the girl in his arms and sat her on the last spot he was. The cute little girl began crying again so Finn calmed her down by hushing her out in a gentle voice.

"Shh, shh. It's okay. I'm here to help. I just need an alcoho—"

"No, no alcohol!" she whines. Finn couldn't blame her knowing that it's the only thing he could do. Sighing, he thinks of a ridiculous excuse just to win her trust when a figure shifted beside him.

"Mommy!" the girl reached out for the woman to carry her onto her arms. Finn took a glimpse and saw Y/n panting. "There you are!" she carried her softly, gazing at Finn.

"She scraped her knee so I tried helping her."

"Mommy, he's about to put alcohol on it."

Y/n softly looks at Finn, flashing a weak smile, then back to her daughter. She looks at her knee from where Finn damped the blood making it look smudged. Y/n caressed her daughter's dark brown hair then said, "If we don't put alcohol on your knee, the germs will enter your wound. It wouldn't heal then. Do you want that to happen? Would you want those tiny monsters to enter your body?"

The innocent lass shook her head, "No."

With that, Y/n gave Finn a look so he could start damping her wound. Y/n took a band-aid from her purse. She's a well-packed mother when it comes to these circumstances.

"This wouldn't hurt, okay?" the lass slowly closed her eyes, pursing her lips. Finn did everything before sealing her skin with a cute band-aid. He saw the yellow minion smiling at him, just like how Y/n's daughter is smiling at her.

"Thank you, mister."

"You are very welcome, young lady. What's your name?" he beams.

"Blythe."

"I'm Finn. Nice to meet you." Blythe smiled at him, staring deeply at his dark brown eyes. Y/n mouths a thank you while Finn gives a thumbs up once he saw her. Blythe broke the awkward silence. Finn and Y/n cleared their throat in unison.

"Mommy?" she looks at her, "Can he be my new daddy?"

Finn furrowed his eyebrows although he awkwardly let out a chuckle, making the two females gaze back at him.

"Uhm—"

"C'mon, mommy! He's kinder than him."

Finn blinks for a second until Y/n bit her lip and explained why the girl said that.

After Y/n divorced his husband because how she was domestically abused, she and Blythe visited the park to take a break. After all, she wanted to know if Finn is still there because she remembered how they became close friends before. Y/n was always at the park to bring her art materials with her just so she could create an image of the world. Finn was there to appreciate her work before the commotion happened and how she met a dark man in disguise. She loved that man but she never thought of his impure intentions. He couldn't love her like a human. He treated Y/n like an animal.

"I'm so sorry for what had happened." his face suddenly fell. Y/n reassured him before Blythe interrupted once again. She asks for her mother's approval if she lets Finn replace his last father.

Y/n chuckles. "Only if Finn wants to," she winked. Finn felt all giddy but uncertain at the same time after seeing her wink. That means it's just a coax to make her daughter believe her as if it'll happen just by a simple agreement. Finn, nevertheless, played fairly, making the little girl genuinely smile. Truly, he fell in love with this woman who doesn't really love him back.

Though his heart tells him to shower her lots of love even though Y/n only treats him as a friend. She dealt with the abuse and that made her doubtful in trusting Finn, but when he showed respect and love towards her and her daughter each day, their relationship grew stronger. Yes, every day, they'll meet up to talk. That's pretty much it until a year more later, Y/n loved him back. The day came when Finn finally proposed to her.

Y/n's life changed once she joined life with Finn. It grew into the happy family it should be.

❇️ ❇️ ❇️

- edited