Like Fire

"Who did you say Marinette wanted to give the miraculous to?" Nathalie asked the kwami, glancing out the window with a sigh.

There was no way she wanted to battle whatever that akuma was. He was randomly draining people of color, causing them to fall to the floor motionlessly.

"Technically she wanted you to keep it, but she also thought that fencer girl, Kagami was a good fit for Chat Noir's partner," Tikki muttered, a little irritated and hurt Nathalie wanted to get rid of her for the second time.

"Where does this girl live? Where can I give her the miraculous?" Nathalie asked, causing Tikki to turn away.

"I think you'll just have to ask Adrien," said the kwami coldly.

When Nathalie turned around, she could see the kwami looking away from her. "Are you mad I took the miraculous from Marinette when she died?" She asked Tikki, her voice smaller.

The kwami looked at her, her eyes filled with a certain emotion Nathalie couldn't decipher. It seemed like a mixture of sympathy, betrayal, and irritation. "No, Nathalie! Of course not! I missed you, it's just... I don't feel quite ready to just move along to another holder so quickly, and just let go of you, and my poor Marinette... I know, I'm supposed to be an embodiment of wisdom and luck, but sometimes things feel overwhelming for me as well," Tikki explained, her voice growing softer.

Nathalie felt her heart drop painfully. Of course her kwami wasn't emotionless, and it was hard for her to move on. "How about we just go to meet Kagami, then you can tell me whether or not you feel comfortable. I can let her deal with this one akuma as Ladybug, then you can let me know. If you don't like her, I could still be your Lady Luck," the woman compromised with a small smile.

The kwami gulped audibly, but accepted this as a deal. Keeping an open mind was always better. The memory of Marinette overhearing Adrien tell the girl that she was just a friend came back to her when she thought about Kagami.

"Marinette? Yeah, of course! She's a very good friend," Adrien smiled bashfully at Kagami, rubbing the back of his neck.

Marinette's heart sank, and she stopped listening.

"And you'll really like her too, once you get to know her," Adrien continued, but Marinette wasn't paying attention anymore.

Marinette turned back around and let herself slump down against the side of the small structure. She slid down slowly, her eyes welling with light tears. "A very good friend, huh?" She repeated quietly, staring down at her lap.

Tikki felt horrible seeing her poor holder so heartbroken. She knew Marinette thought she was nothing more than a friend, and this girl had so much admiration for him. "That sounds like a good start to me," she reassured Marinette with comfort.

At least now she could know that Adrien loved her. It was time to shake off the past and move on, no matter how difficult it would be.

"Tikki, I'm so, so sorry. You're so sick and, well, I don't know what I do without you," Marinette apologized profusely.

"You wouldn't be Ladybug for one!" Tikki giggled, trying to cheer her up.

"I know, but I mean: Tikki, you're more than just my kwami for me," Marinette told her, causing Tikki's heart to swell with love for her holder.

"I know," she laughed, hugging Marinette's cheek.

Every Ladybug was special to her, and it didn't feel right to lose Marinette so quickly. She was so kind, intelligent, and fun to be around. From meeting her on that very first day, she knew that being with Marinette would be one of the best adventures she'd ever get to have.