Episode 7 Little red light

(right to left) Anita, Alex, Tracy, Nicky, Mike, Amanda, Kate, Nike, Chick

November 25th, Saturday, Four days later, QM #1 

"Alright- me and Anita are going to check the top Quizzers list- see you in 15 for our next match!" Amanda said and she and Anita ducked out of the room that was stuffed full of people who had just watched a quiz match between Mike's team and another. Mike wasn't sure- but he thought they were doing good.

The first big Quiz Meet of the season was about three hours from their home town, and it was being held in a school, with over a dozen class rooms including the gym, transformed into quizzing rooms for the weekend. It was still the first day, but that night he and Nicky would be staying at a host family's home, while the girls, Nick and Kate were staying with others. It was a stressful two days- but Mike loved every second of it. Well... he did last year but there was something on his mind today that he couldn't shake.

"Hey Alex?" he said, stopping the red head from leaving, Nicky and Tracy had gone to find someplace quiet to hide till their next match.

"Yeah?" Alex asked, her familiar brown eyes searching him.

"Amanda said you... that you've been having migraines for a while?"

Alex paused for a moment, the noisy room getting ready for another match, "Yeah, why?"

Mike looked away- she would think he was crazy! "I've been having some bad head aches." He shrugged.

Alex smiled, "Migraines are a little different."

"Yeah... I don't know maybe there're migraines. It's just..." Mike hesitated, 'ah whatever I'm going for it!' he thought. "The other day I had this bad head ache- migraine thing, and I closed my eyes, then Amanda came in and asked if I'd seen her sweater. Right, and then I opened my eyes and she was gone- but then she came in and asked if I'd seen her sweater! It was like the weirdest moment of déjà vu ever! Have... you ever had that?" his rambling came to a halt when he realized that Alex was giving him a weird look.

"Nope." She said then inched away, "We should get out of here before the next match starts."

Mike huffed as Alex slipped out into the hall- welp. She thought he was insane- I mean he thought he was insane- the whole déjà vu thing had happened more then once.

Before leaving the room, Mike turned to see the next two teams take their seats and froze; it was the laser eyes girl! The stunning girl in his English class in the fall- this was where he had seen her before! she was a quizzer! And she looked just as beautiful as she had in class every time he had stared at her. Why had he never tried talking to her?

She laughed at something her team mate said, then she turned her teal eyes on Mike and returned his gaze with those laser like eyes. YIKES! Mike ducked out of the room- that's why!

* * *

Twenty minutes later

The Quiz Master was on Question seventeen- that meant there were only three more questions left in the match- and Alex's team was doing TERRIBLE!

Only Amanda had quizzed out, and Nicky hadn't jumped in time to get two of his verses- and the other team had gotten them both right! Alex had missed one of her verses, and Mike had taken too long to answer one of his and it had gone to the other team. They were doing terrible- no amount of well meant high fives from the other team could make up for how badly Alex and the others felt.

"Mark chapter 4-" the Quiz Master began the eighteenth question and Alex tensed- trying her best to concentrate through her suddenly horrible migraine; Chapter 4 was hers! But if a quizzer jumped before the Quiz Master had said enough- a quizzer could be screwed!

"-4, verses 21 to 23, "then Jesus asked-"

BUZZZ!

Alex had lifted her bum of her seat- but she knew some of the other team had done the same.

They all waited for an agonizingly long moment.

"Alex." The Quiz Master said clearly.

Alex stood fully while everyone else relaxed into their chairs, all eyes on Alex. She had sixty seconds to correctly answer the question- or it would go to chair #one of the opposing team.

She breathed for twenty-three seconds, her head pounding, before starting the long verse.

"Correct." The Quiz Master pronounced crisply.

Alex breathed- but her head continued to pound, after receiving high fives from both teams she settled back in her chair.

The next question was from chapter five- her chapter! She got the question and answered it with ten seconds left on the clock! Her confidence was brimming, and her team was loving her- but her head was killing her!

She didn't care what the next question was- she couldn't jump not with her head like this- she didn't care if Lisa and smug Claudia were watching; she wasn't going to jump.

Zoning out the room and all it's distractions, Alex closed her eyes and focused on her right hand, visualizing all her head pain down her arm- hey, it worked last time. She didn't hear the question asked, nor the other team jumping or even the buzzer go. She only heard the pause... then her name.

She looked up in surprise; she could clearly see her little red light bulb shining on the board... but she hadn't moved!

She stood up quickly, aware of everyone's eyes on her in disbelief- they must think she was an expert bum lifter! But Alex hadn't herd the question- and she was hugely confused on what to do- she hadn't jumped!

"Repeat the question?" she asked her voice sounded small, there was an awkward silence and then she knew that the buzzer had cut off the Quiz Master too early, and she hadn't finished the question.

The Quiz Master repeated up till the point where Alex's buzzer had apparently cut her off.

"Mark Chapter 10, verse..."

That's all Alex had to go on!? Needless to say, Alex did not get the question- nor did the other team; the match was over- and they had lost. But her migraine was gone.

So what do you think is going on with Alex- i know i know, it is called super BLAND, so obviously she has super powers- but what kind? and what about Mike? i'd love to hear your thoughts :)