Episode 9 A little damp

January 27th, Seven weeks later, QM #2

"I know what it's like!" Mike said trying to keep his voice quiet- even though he was going crazy with excitement. The second Quiz Meet was in a HUGE church a long five hour drive north. Both teams had done well that day, Even Nicky had gotten a question or two! Mike on the other hand, had quizzed out twice, and that had given him a chance to practice his thing- whatever it was. And now, at the end of the day while everyone was hanging out destressing, he had pulled Alex aside and told her. The two of them had talked about their weird migraines and the weird things that had happened when they tried to get rid of them- but this was the first time he had dared to say that the migraines and weird things were cause and affect.

"It's like I TIME TRAVELED!" he pressed his lips together and waited for Alex's response.

Alex blinked in disbelief, "Mike... that's..." she seemed to be having a hard time thinking of something to say, so Mike cut in.

"Awesome! That's what it is! I knew what question the Quiz Master would ask a full ten seconds before he did!"

"Mike!" Alex hissed, "People already think I've been cheating! Hush!"

"Then you believe me!" he said, refusing to be dampened.

Alex gave him an exasperated look.

* * *

In the church basement, On the pool deck (Yes the church has a pool- I did say HUGE)

Amanda and Anita stood on the pool deck, hugging their arms to themselves in the drafty room. Everyone had been excited to go swimming after all the matches were done- but the girls were alone.

"I just feel like their keeping a secret from me." Amanda summed up her ramblings with a frown, "like I'm not... allowed to know what's going on with my own friend and brother!"

"Maybe their dating." Anita suggested with a smirk- she obviously didn't think this was as important as Amanda did! "I just haven't noticed anything odd about Alex and Mike- they seem normal to me." Anita said with a shrug, "Maybe their still up tight about Chick and the others- didn't think they were that immature... but whatever."

Amanda dipped her tow into the pool, upset that Anita didn't see what she saw, she made a face and shivered, "Yikes- it's cold! On second thoughts I think I'll pass on swimming." She turned to go back to the change rooms, still upset.

"Suit yourself! See you at eight for our ride." Anita said of their ride back to their host home. This time the whole team was staying together in one house, while Lisa and the others were spread out.

Amanda stewed to herself the whole time she was in the empty change room, getting angrier as she changed. It seemed like Alex and Mike could do nothing but have whispered conversations- Amanda might as well hang out with the other team!

Exiting the change rooms, she completely missed- for the second time- the sign that said the pool was closed. She wondered the lower level of the church for what seemed like a long time trying to calm herself down- man could she get angry! She had almost managed it till she went up stars and saw Alex and Mike whispering like mad.

Amanda snorted; Mike had never kept secrets from her before- they were twins! But now?

"Hey, what's going on?" she said, her voice startling the two. They looked up with slightly guilty faces. Mike shook his head and smiled innocently, "Nothing!" he lied.

Amanda narrowed her eyes.

"Hey, what's up?" Tracy said as she and Nicky walked up- the only two missing were Anita and Chick.

"I don't know, what?" Amanda raised a brow in challenge to her brother. For a long moment there was agonizing silence.

"Someone drowned in the pool!" someone shouted down the hall- Amanda froze her anger forgotten.

"Anita was in the pool." She whispered as the color drained from her face, her friends faces went from shock to horror. Then everyone turned and raced to the basement stairs- Amanda taking the lead. The stairs were already crowded with teens who had also heard the shout and had come to see the scene of the accident. Amanda started shoving people out of her way- in her fear she was able to push everyone aside no problem- not even the big guys blocked her way. Soon the others got left behind.

Youth leaders and other adults could be heard raising their voices above the din, "Everyone please- go back up stairs!"

"Nothing to see here- make way for the emergency people!"

"EVERYONE NEEDS TO GO BACK UPSTAIRS!"

Amanda reached the basement and pushed her way to the change rooms- there were no windows to the pool on this level, there were upstairs but not here. She had to get in there.

"Look go back!" a 200 pound youth leader blocked her way.

"It's my friends in there!" Amanda said her voice sounding shrill to her ears.

"Your not helping here- you need to go upstairs." The man said- didn't he care!? Behind him, Amanda saw a door with a little window, it led directly to the pool- she could smell the chlorine. Why did she leave Anita alone!?

Not caring, Amanda pushed past the man, he lost his balance, and she was nearly to the door when it opened!

Nick stepped out his face looking strained, Amanda's heart sunk.

"Anita...?" she breathed.

Nick looked up and his face softened, "She's alright! She's just got a bump on her head but she's fine!"

His words took a moment to sink in- but what happened next took much, much quicker to click in her brain.

Nick was holding the door open, and out stepped Jen... Garbage girl. She was fully dressed- and soaked through... 

I took swimming lessons all through my childhood- and yet i'm still afraid of drowning- how about you? Also- what do you think happened in the pool? what was Jen doing there?