Episode 23 Wet noodle

September 8th, Two days later, Friday night, First quiz practice

"And then he smashes the beakers and yells- STINK BOMB!" Tom demonstrated with an over dramatic flare.

Lee snorted, "Ah! Never gets old!" she swiped a tear from her teal eye before it could ruin her wingtip eye liner. Lee, Tom and Gabino had flopped down on the couches at one end of their churches basement.

Suddenly the low level music was cranked up to blasting level, Joshua Micah's 'Who says?' blared through the small church basement bringing a halt to all discussion.

"I don't appreciate that topic!" Tory hollered at Tom, Lee and Gabino, her intense face glaring at them.

"Sorry what? Didn't hear you! Something about the MUSIC!" Tom yelled back.

Tory turned the music back down and went back to setting up the quiz board, Lee smirked; Tory was Tom's older sister, and no mater how scary Tory could be with her red lipstick and ridicules side pony tails- Tom could always dish it out, right back at her.

"Lo siento!" Gabino apologized with an earnest look on his handsome face, "It just was kind of funny." Lee snorted a laugh again- sometimes Gabino just didn't know when to NOT push their Quiz master.

Tory glared up at Gabino; she was just nineteen, and had recently taken over full responsibility for the quiz team. Lee suspected that she was anxious to prove she could do the job- and that meant a LOT of glares and half empty threats in the future!

"I don't care how stupid Josh is; he's part of the team! And if I catch you guys making fun of him again, I'll beat ya'll with a wet noodle!" she threatened bluntly.

Lee smirked and poked Tom's lag with her foot from where she relaxed on an old couch, "You heard the boss; be nice."

Tom sighed and rolled his eyes, "So like... are we going to have a real team this year?" he asked after a moment.

Tory shrugged, "We have a few months to come up with one other quizzer. And the pastor said he had talked to someone who was interested in joining- so he might show up."

Everyone went silent as Josh's voice was heard coming down the stairs, Gabino rolled his lips in- and Lee felt slightly bad about laughing at Josh; he could be a bit of an idiot at times- and it was her opinion that he was also a jerk- but Tory was right, he was part of the team.

The forth member of their team entered the basement; over the past week it seemed that everyone had laughed about Josh's 'stink bomb', the only thing talked about more- was garbage girl and the Brander's video.

Josh paused and looked over the room with a cocky smile, "And here we are!" at his side was a cute, short blonde, her freckled face and green eyes skimming the room shyly.

"Is that... garbage girl?" Lee whispered.

Gabino spun about to Lee, "No! Shush- no it's not the same girl!" he got up and flashed his smile, "Chrissy, hola! I'm so happy you decided to come!" he greeted, Chrissy blushed and raised a hand in a sort of wave.

Tom rolled his eyes and Lee snorted again at Gabino's obvious liking to the blonde.

"Who's that?" Tory asked approaching Josh and Chrissy- she kind of looked like a gangster trying to intimidate an intruder on her turf. Chrissy certainly looked intimidated.

"This is Chrissy!" Josh introduced, "She's going to join the team."

"Really?" Lee asked surprised; out of all the people she expected to recruit a new team member, she had not expected Josh. She was impressed, and showed it by smiling.

Tory shifted her jaw to one side, as if unsure she would accept the blonde, "Thanks for the heads up." she said dryly, "I'm Tory- welcome to the team."

Chrissy smiled nervously, and Lee narrowed her teal eyes; she had known enough people to know when someone was hiding something (it was kind of like her own super power), and that girl, carried herself as if hiding something huge... as if afraid that at any moment someone would find out.

* * *

Chrissy shifted on her chair, the quizzing pad was weird to sit on, and she was nervous of setting off her buzzer by accident.

BUZZ

Tory glared at Tom, "Sit still." She commanded, Josh and Gabino snickered as Tom pretended to freeze. Chrissy wasn't sure yet about this whole quizzing thing, she was quite intimidated by Tory. But, Josh was there, and Gabino- maybe this was all part of becoming the new her. She wasn't sure about Lee yet either; the girl was a year older (like Tom), and seemed quite frosty. It didn't seem much fun to be on a mostly boy team when the only other girl didn't like her.

"Ok, ya'll ready to know what book we're doing this year?" Tory asked

"Wait- we have to memorize a whole book of the bible!?" Chrissy whispered in astonishment, beside her Gabino grinned, "I did say that our brains fall out."

"The book of Mark!" Tory held up little books of Mark, then proceeded to toss them at the quizzers.

"And Gabino- I'm promoting you to Team Captain." Tory said nonchalantly, "You get chair #one now."

"Really!?" Gabino asked hesitantly rising from chair five, he looked at Lee who sat in chair two, she shrugged, "I don't want it!" she waved her arm to the empty chair one.

Tom, in chair three, gave Gabino a fist bump as he went by.

"And that means that Chrissy moves up to chair five- and we lose chair six." Tory instructed, and Chrissy scooted over one chair to sit next to Josh- who seemed pleased with this placement.

Tory opened her mouth to speak again- but was interrupted by a masculine voice, "You Tory?"

Everyone looked to the basement entrance, and Chrissy took in a sharp breath; it was the hall way guy! Tall as ever and just as good looking as she remembered. She hadn't seen him since that first day- but she thought about him a lot and of how nice he had been.

She felt her face heat up in a blush when he noticed her; he looked... pleasantly surprised, and he gave her a soft smile.

"I was told you were looking for a new quiz team member." He said as he came forward with that confident relaxed nature that Chrissy remembered so well, "I'm Hudson." 

I think the song 'Who says' by Joshua Micah fits weirdly well with this EP- what do you think? Also, you got your first look at the whole team- how are you feeling about them- do you still miss the first team?