~ The Sorting ~

Hermione's POV

Lily and I went to go stand outside our compartment so that Severus could change into his uniform. He opened the door and we entered our compartment again. As the train pulled to a stop I started to get a bit nervous. What house will I be placed in? I know I've changed a lot during the war. I doubt I will be placed in Gryffindor again. I don't feel like I suit Gryffindor anymore I mean I still have those traits but it just isn't me. I was startled from my thoughts by Lily grabbing Severus and I and pretty much dragging us out of the compartment. It's a good thing I was already holding Crooks or he would have been left behind.

I laugh "Lily we can walk on our own!"

"I don't want us to be late Hermione!" Lily said

"We won't be late Lily the boats don't leave until everyone is on them." Hearing that Lily let us go and blushed a little bit with embarrassment. "It's alright Lily you are excited. That's good it's better than being nervous". We finally boarded the boats and set off to the school. We got to the school I put Crooks down and told him to find me after the feast. Everyone got off the boats and crowded around Professor McGonagall.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding wizards and witches. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return for you when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly."

Once she finished her speech she turned and entered the great hall. Right after she left James came up to us and looked at me.

"You will pay for what you did." He said

"No, you will pay each and every time you bully one of my friends."

Just then Professor McGonagall walked back through the doors and gave us a look of suspicion. She quickly returned to her normal strict self though.

"We are ready for you now. Follow me."

We all followed her into the great hall. We were all facing the sorting hat and as people were being called up I zoned out. That is until my name was called and I was snapped out of my thoughts. I slowly walk up to the stool, I sit down and the hat was placed on my head.

Why hello child. Hmm? From the future. Ah, originally Gryffindor I see. Hmm yes, Gryffindor suited you well but not anymore. You are brave, loyal, witty, knowledgeable, cunning, ambitious, Resourceful yes I know in what house you belong now. Must be..."SLYTHERIN!"

Wow. Slytherin house. Wait has there ever been a Muggle-born Slytherin student? I stand up and walk to the Slytherin table I end up sitting next to a random guy who seems a bit jumpy and I saved a spot for Severus and of course, he got placed in Slytherin as well. He seems kinda put out probably because Lily had been placed in Gryffindor. He sits down next to me and I at him. "Hey, Sev don't look so glum. We are still friends with Lily and we have each other!"Sev smiled slightly

"Thanks, Hermione. I'm happy I'm not alone." And he was hugging me. I hugged him back. It's official Severus Snape gives the best hugs. We both let go and began eating our dinner.

About an hour later

Dinner was now finished and all first years were being escorted to their respective common rooms. We made it to the entrance and the password was Salazar Slytherin. It was funny as it was a portrait of Salazar Slytherin himself. The Slytherin common room is beautiful. The windows look into the black lake where you could see the mermaids and the giant squid. Sev and I decided to meet early tomorrow to go to breakfast together and to read a little bit. I made my way to my dorm and I didn't pay much attention to anything I just changed into my pajamas and crawled into my bed. I read the letter Dumbledore wrote for me and decided to go to sleep. Just before I fell asleep I saw Crooks jump on the bed and lay down next to me. Closing my eyes sleep took me. I just hope I don't have any nightmares tonight.