~ Taking Control ~

~ Dedicated to @Vonntage ~

Hermione's POV

(Christmas Eve)

I look on in awe at the beautiful atmosphere that Severus created for us. Immediately I know we are in the astronomy tower and there are floating lights surrounding a dining table covered in a cream colored tablecloth. You can see the moon shining and the view of the stars is as clear as I've ever seen. It is gorgeous. I turn to Sev, a huge smile on my face when I see him kneeling on one knee in front of me and holding a small box in his hand. I gasp, my hands come up to cover my mouth and I can feel the tears building up in my eyes.

"Hermione Granger, you are the most brave, intelligent, kind, cunning and stubborn woman that I have ever met. I know in the eyes of the wizarding world we are as good as married but we were stripped of the opportunity to decide for ourselves when we wanted to be bonded. Now I'm taking control, I'm borrowing some of your bravery and I'm asking you now. Hermione, I know we were both raised in the muggle world so will you marry me? The muggle way? And be my wife in the eyes of both worlds?"

By the end of that tears were dripping from my eyes. I feel myself nodding.

"Yes, I will." I tell him, my voice shaking. He stands and pulls the ring out of its box slipping it onto my finger and I watch as it magically resizes to fit.

"This is my grandmothers ring. When my grandfather disowned my mother she was left with next to nothing but when my grandmother was dying she sent the ring to my mother after hearing she had a grandson. She never agreed with my grandfather disowning my mom. It's a prince family heirloom, been in the family as long as anyone could remember. My mother told me that when I found the right girl, to give it to her so I'm giving it to you. My literal soulmate. It's technically a bonding ring but it will serve as both a bonding ring and an engagement ring for us." We both chuckle at the end of it although I'm trying not to cry again as well.

"It's absolutely beautiful Sev, I'm honored."

"I love you Hermione," he gives me a kiss.

"and I love you" I reply after we part

The Next Day
(Christmas Day)

Lily and I drink our tea in the room of requirements whilst we wait for Sev to arrive with the presents. He insisted that we go ahead and he would bring the presents down with him. Something about him wanting to stop at the owlery first to send out a last minute gift to Regulus. Lily and I were totally ok with that though as it gave us ample time to talk about the proposal and wedding stuff as well as how things are going between her and James. Aries content just laying by my feet chewing on his frozen marrow bone which was his Christmas treat. At long last Sev arrived but he wasn't alone, with him were Regulus, James and Remus. I sat there shocked for a moment before Lily ran up to hug James.

I glance at Sev again and he gives me a cheeky grin. I smile and shake my head as I stand and make my way to him. He wraps his arms around my waist, kisses my cheek and says

"What do you think? Were you surprised?"

"You sneaky man. Its wonderful and of course I'm surprised, I was under the impression that you and James didn't get along. when did you cook this up?"

"James and I still don't like each other but we decided it was in our best interest for us to behave civilly as he is dating one of my closest friends. I planned it a couple weeks ago because I had heard Lily saying that she wished she could spend Christmas with James too and of course I figured having Remus here wouldn't be too bad."  

I chuckle and greet Regulus along with our other guests. We all made ourselves comfortable and conversed surprisingly comfortably and ended up spending our evening reminiscing on our years hear at the castle. James and Remus expressed their regrets on how they treated Sev and I  and we all have decided that the rest of our last year here at Hogwarts is going to be spent putting the past behind us so we can all hopefully become friends. Regulus and Remus are already getting along splendidly.

"oh! I almost forgot to ask how are you feeling Remus?"

Remus looks at me confused and visibly on edge.

"What do you mean?" he asks

"Hermione" I hear Sev say but I continue on

"this full moon seemed to be really hard on you." I finish

"Hermione, love" Sev says again 

"What is it Sev?"

"He doesn't know yet. We never told him."

I freeze, realizing what I've just done. How could I have been so stupid! I look up meeting Remus's intense gaze. I swallow hard and look down at my hands resting on my lap.

"I would really like some answers from the two of you right now." Remus said in a snipped tone.

I take a deep breath and exhale.

"I guess it is past due that we tell you. We've been helping you on full moons for a long while now. You see...Sev and I are Animagi. I wanted to become an Animagus to help you on full moons when you transform and Sev joined me."

He looked really deep in thought until I saw a flash of recognition cross his face. He looked at me, then at Sev then back to me again almost like he saw us in a whole different light.

Just then James speaks up

"How could you have been helping though? we only became Animagi in fifth year."

"Third year...third year during one of my transformations I thought that two foxes had just by chance made their way into the Shrieking Shack. they stayed with me and kept me company. After that night they would come to the shack on every full moon before I even transformed. Even when you guys were there, they always made themselves known to Moony...That was you two, wasn't it? Your the two foxes moony accepted as a part of his pack."