Chapter 4

The alarm on my phone woke me up, this time with a different ringtone thankfully. It was seven. I went to my closet, looking for a decent outfit. I decided on a white and black striped crop top with high-waisted light blue ripped jeans that I ripped myself. And, I've got to say, they look really good. Better than buying pre-ripped. Pre-ripped jeans are for uncreative people with no color or inspiration. You know, the people without Pinterest.

I cooked some eggs and made myself a kale smoothie. It's vegetarian-friendly, not vegan. People have told me that if someone were to be vegetarian they might as well just go vegan. My cousin, Dominique, is vegan but as I told her, I'm not giving up my dairy. That is the one thing I rely on for my source of protein. 

It was time to leave after I ate, so I got in my car and drove to Alex's house. It didn't take long to get there. They live in one of the rich people's subdivisions outside of town. Their house is huge. When I arrived, I got out of the car and rang their doorbell. Alex's mom came to the door and welcomed me in.

"Hello, you must be Emma." She said.

"Yes, I am. Nice to meet you."

"You too. I have some extra spending money on the table if you want to take Alex out to get lunch. I'll be back around eight tonight. They have me working a twelve-hour shift." She said.

"Who is this?" Some guy my age asked, who was shirtless and only wearing sweatpants.

"Austin, this is Emma,  y'all's new babysitter."

"Why do we need a babysitter? Why do I need a babysitter? I can watch Alex while you work, there's no need for this girl." He said, coldly.

"Hi, I-I'm Emma." I stutter, nervously.

"Does it look like I care?" He spat angrily and left to what I assume was his room, slamming the door shut behind him.

"I'm sorry about him. He's been like this since his father left five years ago. Alex is in his room watching Max and Ruby. I need to get going. Your money is on the counter. Thank you, sweetie." She says and quietly leaves out the door.

I went to put the money in my purse. It was three hundred dollars. Then, I went to go see Alex in his room. "Hello, Alex. I'm Emma, your new babysitter. I'll be here until your mommy gets back." I say to him.

"Hey, Emma. Do you want to watch Max and Ruby with me?" He asks.

"Sure. I use to love that show." I reply.

*** 2 HOURS LATER (SpongeBob reference)***

"I'm hungry Emma!" Alex complains, yawning and holding his stomach.

"Do you want to go get some ice cream at the parlor? We can get you some real food too." I say to him.

"Yes but only if Austin comes too!" He exclaims.

"How about we just go? I don't think Austin wants to go." I truthfully tell him, replaying the image of him leaving and slamming his door in my head.

"I want Austin!" Alex pouts, throwing a little fit.

"Fine, I'll try to go talk to him for you." I give in, and Alex claps his hands, cheerfully. Well, here I go to face the monster and await my death. Wish me luck.

***

I slowly walk to his room and tap lightly on the door. "Leave me alone!" He yells. Ouch, that hurt, So much for not being scared.

"Alex t-told me he w-wanted you to get ice cream with us." I stutter, nervous as ever.

He finally opens the door. He looks me up and down before rudely saying, "Well tell him I said no. I'm not going with some girl who thinks she can just walk into my house and do whatever she wants."