Chapter 37

Emma's POV

I told Carrie that I would be coming to visit her in NYC. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow morning. I also told her that I was bringing a friend and she said that was fine. I'm glad she didn't question anything. Austin asked his mom about it yesterday and she was a little shocked, to say the least. She did not like the idea of her son going to New York without her. I don't blame her either. He told her that he was going with me, which seemed to calm her nerves, and she insisted that he should not leave me or go anywhere alone. I understand where she is coming from, hence his past history. He is supposed to meet me tomorrow morning at the airport at six-thirty since the plane boards at seven. 

I've spent the morning packing. We should be there for a week, right before school starts back. I've packed a few long sleeves, some jeans, and the only two jackets I own. New York is cold compared to southern California. I would go shopping for some more winter clothes, but I don't really feel like blowing money before I leave. Maybe I'll shop while I'm up there if I have to find some more cold-proof clothing.  If I do, I'll ask Carrie before since she works as a fashion designer for a popular clothing brand. I realized that there will be only one more semester left until summer is here and junior year is over. I've already earned two college credits that'ss go towards my freshman year in college. My birthday is in June, so that's something to look forward to, in a way.  

***

"Where are you?" I ask Austin through my cell phone as I sit down in one of the chairs in the lobby of the airport.  

"I'm on my way. I'll be there in ten," he replies and I shake my head in disapproval. It is four forty-five and the plane starts boarding people in fifteen minutes.

"Austin, I told you the plane starts boarding at seven. You need to hurry up and get here, just please don't get into a wreck doing so," I tell him and end the call. Knowing him, he probably overslept and forgot to load his luggage in his truck last night. 

People are everywhere. There is a family of three carrying suitcases as they walk to the opposite end of the airport. An older woman with glasses is sitting beside me reading some romance novel while another is standing at a vending machine, getting some junk food before her flight. I thought about getting something to eat since I did not eat breakfast this morning, but I did bring some mixed nuts and some dried fruit in my purse, along with a protein bar. I think I'll be fine. The flight attendants are providing a mini-snack two hours into the flight for the passengers. The flight is five hours and twenty minutes., so we are expected to land in NYC around noon. 

I go to the luggage area to get mine checked and placed to be boarded on the plane. There are now ten minutes until they start calling for people. They check my two suitcases and my carry-on bag before telling me I'm good to go. They take my luggage and hand me my bag back. When I walk back to sit down, I see Austin walk through the front doors, five minutes till seven. 

"Go get your luggage checked and placed to be boarded on the plane. There are only five minutes left!" I instruct him and point to the area that I'd just came from. 

"Okay," he says with wide eyes before quickly walking over there, dragging his luggage behind.  Three minutes later, he is sitting down next to me. "So, how long is this flight supposed to last anyway?" 

"Approximately five hours and twenty minutes," I reply. "Did you oversleep?"

"My alarm went off, but I hit the snooze button. Twice. And, I still had not packed everything because I needed my toothbrush and my medicine, the essentials. It took me a while to gather all of the things I used this morning and when I got in the car, I was fifteen minutes later leaving than I should have. It was n't intentional, I just didn't go to bed early last night," he shrugs his shoulders.