Chapter 33

"I need to decorate my house for Christmas," Alexis explains. "The only way I'll be doing that is if you come over to help me. My parents are gone on a business trip. I can't just do it alone." She complains.

"Okay, I'll be over in half an hour," I tell her and press the red button on my phone, ending the two-minute conversation. I lazily sit on my bed, it being almost noon, and lie flat on my back for a moment before going to my closet, pulling out a white sweater and blue jeans, before putting my black vans on, grabbing my bag, and heading out the door. Not to mention the upgrade from my old, tattered Converse to a new pair of Vans. I liked my Converse but I thought I should try something new. As it turns out, I like them both.

Once I arrive at Alexis's house, I realize that I'm not that good of a decorator when it comes to Christmas festivities. I debate whether I should text her and cancel or stay anyway. If I left she would scold me for canceling again on her. The other time wasn't exactly my fault.

"Emma, you came!" She exclaims as if she was shocked and obliviously puts on her fake smile. The smile she uses when she is either insulted or around snobby people.

"Of course I did. I don't have that much experience with decorating Christmas trees but I will try my best. I usually don't-"

"You're friends with me, of course, you will be great!" Another fake smile. Something is off.

"Are you okay?" I ask her as I walk through the front door and make my way towards her couch.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She quickly replies. Liar.

"No, seriously, what's going on?" I pressure her, hoping she will spill the beans already.

"Okay, fine. Do you remember that girl I told you about a long time ago? Sarah?"

"The girl you had a crush on. Yeah, what about her?"

"We were seeing each other for a little while but it just wasn't working out so we, well she, decided to end it." Alexis somberly replies.

"Oh Alexis, I'm so sorry. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. How about you show me where the ornaments are?" I attempt to change the subject.

"Sure, they're this way." She leads me to the right of the couch where there is a big tree near the corner. A tub of new ornaments is sitting beside it.

"Oh, and also, I may or may not have invited Austin Banks over to help decorate."

"You did what? Alexis!" I almost scream. How could she? She doesn't know about Thanksgiving. Crap. I'd rather not tell Ms. Blabbermouth about me and Austin because I know she will tell someone and even Courtney might find out.

"Look, it's not a big deal. He helped me with my math homework before school let out so I thought I might as well do something for him too."

"And you didn't even bother to ask me what I thought about it?" I question her.

"I was on the verge of failing, Emma, at least try to be somewhat considerate." She huffs and looks at the unfluffed tree.

"I would have helped you with math. We're in the same class."

"Not for long, and like you are an expert in math. Are you on your period or something because you are all fired up and-" The ring of the doorbell cuts her off.

"He's here." She calmly states before opening the front door.

"Am I interrupting something?" He asks. "I heard yelling."

"No, you're fine. Come in." She smiles her fake smile again. At least I'm not the only one receiving it.

"Emma, er, I thought that was you. What are you doing here?" He looks slightly shocked but unamused at the same time.