Chapter 31

Austin's POV

The doorbell rings and Alex goes to open the door. "Emma! I've missed you." He exclaims and hugs her.

She's wearing a short, sleeveless dark orange dress that hugs her curves in unbelievable ways. I don't know why she decided to wear that tonight, around me. It's tempting and makes me want to do things to her that would freak her out if she knew my perverted thoughts. Those things I'll never be able to do because we made a deal that we were just friends. That's all. But, I don't want to be just friends. That's another thing she won't know about.

"I've missed you too." She tells my little brother. I look down at my phone, wanting to avoid eye contact with her because I don't want it to be awkward.

"Emma, it's so nice that you came. I'm finishing up dinner as I speak, and I can promise it won't be too much longer." My mother tells her, and I see the usual sight of her shuffling pots and pans from stoves to countertops. She ends up doing this every year for Thanksgiving, except we are at her sister's or somewhere else celebrating. Alex and I's grandparents are dead or we would be with them. My grandmother and grandfather died when I was fifteen.

Emma looks at me, and I look at her. She's wearing black high heels too. It's almost as if she's asking for it. I'm wearing a white buttoned-up shirt; something I normally don't wear. Mom insisted since we were having company over that I should at least dress decent. More decent than my everyday plain white or black t-shirt. Emma looks breathtaking tonight, more than usual. I still don't understand why she dressed up.

"Emma, you look... beautiful. Thank you for coming." comes out of my mouth before I can think it through. Shit.

She blushes and I can't help but smirk. At least she took the compliment the way she did. "Thanks, and no problem. I told you I'd come after all, didn't I?"

I ignore the hint of sassy-ness in the question that was more of a statement and scoot over to one end of the couch, patting the other side with my hand in hopes that she'll come to sit down. She sits down and takes her phone out of her purse to avoid social interaction like a normal person. It's something I do, and have done since she got here. I glance over her shoulder to see what exactly she's doing. Playing candy crush, a game that's been out since Santa started coming to the mall.

"What's your favorite season?" I ask her, after sitting in silence trying to come up with something to break the ice.

"What? Sorry... I wasn't listening." She embarrassingly admits. At least she was honest.

"What is your favorite time of the year?" I ask her, slightly changing the question this time.

"Easy. Christmas. I love Christmas and the holiday spirit, even though I usually spend it alone too. What about you?" She responds, and I can't help but feel bad for her. Sure I don't have a dad around, but that is nothing compared to what she has to live with, and has lived with for years.

"Halloween. It's a night filled with fun and excitement." I tell her.

"No way, Halloween is overrated and scary. I don't see how you can like Halloween when Christmas lasts longer." She argues with me. That's why I don't like Halloween, it's underrated and barely celebrated.

"C'mon, you people play Christmas music before Halloween even gets here. That's why I don't  like Christmas." I reply, wanting to win this argument. Christmas is celebrated for two months while Halloween is for only a week. I don't even want to think about all of the Christmas music I hear between Halloween and December 24th.

"That is unbelievable! I don't know how anyone couldn't like Christmas. Even selfish people like it because they get presents." She spats, and I can't help but think the last part has something to do with me. Just a feeling.