Chapter 44

Emma's POV

It's been almost a month since I got back from NY. One month since I last saw Austin. We switched classes because of the new semester, and now we don't see each other anymore. I told him that we needed to take a break, but I never meant for it to last this long. He still texts me about three days a week, but the conversations are not the same. I don't know if he is seeing someone else, surely not, or if he is depressed. I want to see him. I really do. 

Amber has been harassing me since she's been out of jail. Calling me, stalking me. Anything she can do to annoy me. Dominique has been going out a lot. She has tried to convince me to go with her, but I have just wanted to be a homebody. I lie around in sweats, eating food, and watching Netflix alone. I've gotten used to being lonely though. 

I wonder if Austin is enjoying this. Or maybe he is not alone. Maybe he is like he used to be. I don't know. 

Carrie is still missing. I have been stressed. There have been more people looking for her. It was all my fault. If I had stopped her from leaving, she would still be in her home in NYC, working in fashion and designing; doing the things she loves. 

School has been easier, but still miserable. Junior year has been crazy. They've been bothering me about scholarships and the ACT. I've been receiving multiple emails from college. I don't know if I want to major in sociology still, or if I want to try something else. All of this has been confusing and stressful. Sometimes I just want to crawl under the covers in my bed and just sleep. I know that sounds unproductive, but it's the truth. 

Most of my meals have come from Door Dash in the past month, and most of my clothes have remained unwashed in the corner of my room. I haven't felt like myself in a while. I want to have a social life, but I don't have many friends. Alexis has been dating around and it seems like she never has time for me anymore. Dominique doesn't understand me, and I can't talk to Austin. I would randomly show up at his house but I might walk in on something. We need to talk, but I don't think I can bring myself to ask him what's going on. The texts have been vague. A lot of "wyd" and "cool;" no interesting conversations. I would ask Claire what is going on but I don't even think she would know. Either he has told her nothing or he told her we are taking a break. I don't know. 

Austin's POV

It's been one month. I miss her like crazy. I don't know what happened. I thought everything was great until she mentioned taking a break. I understand that we spent over a whole week together, but I don't know why the "break" has lasted this long. I text her every once in a while but she never wants to carry on a conversation. Nine times out of ten I have texted her first. I'm starting to think she has moved on from me. I know we didn't break up but I think she could be seeing someone else. She just doesn't seem interested in us anymore. 

Carrie is still missing. It's junior year. Things are crazy. I understand that, and I know that she is stressed. But I don't get why she is acting like this. I don't know what I did for her to act like this. I would go over to her house and try to work things out but I'm afraid that I won't find her alone. 

I've been staying home in sweats and ordering pizza. I've tried going out, looking for girls, but I can't be like I used to be. She has changed me. Sometimes I want to relapse into old habits, but it doesn't seem possible anymore. It's hard to do anything anymore when she is my everything. I want to hold her. I want to pull her close and never let her go. I'm still in love with her. I just wish I could read her mind. 

Dominique's POV

Emma has been acting really weird lately. I don't understand what is going on. She told me that she and Austin are taking a break. A few minutes ago, she went to the bathroom to take a shower. I went to her room and realized that her phone was charging. She used to have a password on it but now it's just unlocked. I looked at her phone and through her messages. I realized that she has been texting Austin lately but the conversations look off. I decided to text him and tell him that she wants to talk. 

He responds within one minute: Really?

I reply with "Yes. When can u come over?"

Austin: "Give me 30 minutes"

10 minutes later, Emma is out of the shower. He will be here in 15 minutes. I tell her to put on some nice clothes, not the usual sweats I've seen her wear since she came back from the city. 

"We're going somewhere. Please look decent."

"Why are we going somewhere? I'm fine with just chilling out here," she complains and puts on a loose-fitting blue top and black leggings. 

"Why not wear this?" I ask her and pull out a red crop top and skirt set. She looks at me in disbelief and shakes her head. "What's wrong with that?"

"It's too revealing. Why can't I just wear a sweatshirt and jeans?" Emma rolls her eyes and doesn't take the outfit from me. 

"Why do you have it if you don't wear it? It doesn't matter, we're leaving in twenty minutes," I tell her and go back to my room. She has no idea that he will be here in less than fifteen minutes. 

Fifteen minutes later, there is a knock on the door. I yell at Emma to answer it. I walk to the living room and watch from behind the couch. The expression on her face is priceless. But the tension between them tells me that shit is about to go down.