Chapter 7

I have most of the day to do what I want today. Claire doesn't need me to come over until seven tonight. She informed me that Alex slept in late this morning so he might not want to go to sleep at his usual bedtime, seven. I've been reading a lot lately because I have a book report due next week; I just started the book today. Babysitting has taken up a lot of my time lately. So much that it makes it had to focus on the one thing I was and should be focused on, school. My English teacher for this college course is giving me lots of work and is a very strict lady who doesn't believe in makeup work or second chances. She expects the assignments she assigns you to already be completed and turned in by the due date. I don't think she likes me either.

School should be my main focus, not irrational people. That was been my goal ever since I was a little girl. Alex is wonderful and I don't mind babysitting him, but it's a distraction. Not to mention his awful brother who can't make up his mind, or be good for anything.
The last thing I've always wanted was a relationship with anyone. 

When I was born, my father came to see me in the hospital but left shortly after. He never came back. Later on my birthday, he called my mom and told her that he couldn't stay with her and will file for divorce, that he couldn't handle the stress of being a father. He didn't want to let his team down by dropping out of school and quitting football to get a GED. He left her alone, at seventeen years old, with a child to raise. Of course, she was hurt by his response and it caused her lots of pain, but she knew beforehand that he was a player. Just one time of her saying yes to avoid his reaction to her saying no. She was afraid to say no to him. Why wouldn't she? He was the high school's bad boy and she was the good girl who was a nobody to any and everyone. He mattered to them, she didn't.

It's almost time to go over to Alex's house, not that I've done anything in the past hours to make time pass but read, so I apply some makeup and hurry out the door, phone, and keys in hand.

When I arrive, it's 6:58 pm. Two minutes early. I knock on the door and Claire comes to open it, dressed in her hospital scrubs. I don't know if I could ever do her job, being a nurse working night shift twelve hours. I know she is as needed but still, that's pretty rough. Not to mention the blood. Gross.

"Hey darling, thanks so much for coming!" She says, enthusiastic and sincere.

"Emma!" Alex screams.

"Alex! I'm so glad to see you." I tell him about the same energy.

"I've been waiting forever until I could get to see you. I've missed you!"

"Me too." I reply.

"Well, I'll leave you two alone. Try not to get into any trouble now. Thanks again, Emma, for coming. I should be back around seven tomorrow morning. As I said, there is a guest room right beside Alex's room. It has a king-size bed in it and stays empty. You are welcome to any and everything in the house." She says, handing me my money and heading out the door.

"Alex, what do you want to do?" I asked him.

"I want to watch a movie!" He demanded, "and I want some popcorn too."

"Okay, I'll pop you some popcorn, but first, what movie do you want to watch?" I asked, curious.

"Sponge bob the movie," he says.

Oh my stars, is that seriously what I am going to have to endure for the next two hours? I apparently forgot how much kids love Sponge bob. I turned on the smart tv and logged into my Netflix account to turn on Sponge Bob. To the best of my luck, there was an R rated romance movie ad while waiting for it to load.

"What's that? Can we watch it?" Alex asked, confused.

"No, no, no, this is not a good movie. We won't be watching it." I stressed, even though I'll probably watch it sometime other. Totally not kid-friendly. The movie was starting and the popcorn had just got done so I separated the bag into two plastic bowls and brought them back to the couch. We sat side by side, loudly crunching popcorn and staring intently at the screen.

There were about thirty minutes left of the movie when Alex fell asleep. Despite what his mother had said, he still went to bed the same he usually does. It was nine at night. I stayed up to watch the rest of the movie, as usual, I had to know how it ended, then went to tuck him in. He didn't wake up while I carried him. I put him in his bed and kissed his forehead before returning to the couch. I still wasn't tired so I turned on my all-time favorite movie, The Fault in Our Stars, and curled up, cuddling with a blanket.

Around ten, Austin's truck pulled up and I figured he'd been out all night. He came through the front door, which windows displayed rain, almost soaking wet and was heading to his room.

"Where were you at?" I asked, wondering why he'd ignored his little brother tonight.

"Does it matter?" He said, his voice cold and determined.

"I guess not," I said, realizing it's not worth the trouble.

It was complete silence for a few moments, except for the movie playing on the background. Augustus had just asked Hazel out on a date.

Austin sat down beside me on the couch as I lied there, not moving an inch, fairly afraid of what he was thinking. But he just sat there, watching the movie as if nothing had happened. He seriously needs to go to a psych clinic or something because I'm starting to think he's bipolar. He scooted closer to me casually, and I flinched, not wanting him any near me. He didn't seem to notice. It was late and I was getting tired, my eyes were about to close. As much as I want to see the rest of the best movie on earth, I just can't. I felt an arm drape around me as I comfortably and unconsciously drifted into a deep sleep.