Chapter 29

"At least let me pay for your coffee this time," Daniel looks at me after I order a Frappuccino.

"You really don't have to, but then again there's not much I can do to stop you." I awkwardly laugh and he laughs too, only his laugh isn't awkward.  After getting our coffee, we go sit on the leather couch next to the fake fire heater inside of Starbucks.

"I'm glad you weren't busy today. How have you been?" He asks me.

"Good, actually. Lately, I've been a little too tired and stressed out over tests at school, but other than that I've been fine. How's college?"

"College is college. My classes aren't too hard, but some of the professors are really old and hard of hearing. I have four more years left until I can graduate with a psychology degree, which sounds like a long time but I'll make it." He replies and shrugs his shoulders while taking a sip of his iced black coffee. I can't stand black coffee, much less iced black coffee.

"That's cool. I know it seems like you'll be stuck in college forever but I'm sure it'll be over with before you know it." I tell him.

"I could tell you the same thing about high school. Only one more year after this and you'll be off to college too." He laughs softly.

I finish my coffee and get up off of the sofa to throw the empty cup away. Daniel follows me to the other side of the coffee shop. "Thanks for meeting me today. It was nice seeing your face again." He stands in front of me, making eye contact. "Are you doing anything today?" He asks me, moving a little closer. My stomach starts to ache in response and my mind thinks back to Austin. We're just friends...

"Not really. I don't have to be anywhere today I suppose."  I tell him, and I realize we are still standing only two feet away from each other. This is uncomfortable.

"Emma, I've missed you. College is tough and it seems like we never have time to talk or hang out anymore ." He looks at me, with some emotion in his eyes.

"Daniel, I've missed you too but I can't..." He leans closer to me and it takes all that's in me not to lean in too. He's so much different than Austin, always nice and truthful. And they are brothers. I don't know why I'm contemplating this but I am. Austin has mood swings, whereas Daniel seems to stay in one mood all of the time. Humble.

I lean in closer, despite my endless thoughts and innocent conscious, our lips only a few inches apart and remember the first time we kissed. Before I had whatever it is I have with Austin. "Daniel... I can't." I sigh and give up. I can't do this.

"What's wrong? Was it something I said?" His crystal eyes give me a shocked look.

"No, it's not you; it's me. Daniel, I l-like A-Austin. I've liked him for a long time now. I'm so sorry." I whisper the last part because I can't imagine what he's feeling. Rejection. A fear that kept me from love for so long, and still does in a way.

I watch as his lips part like he's about to say something but I do not hear a sound. How could he have liked me when we barely see each other anymore? How could he like someone like me in the first place, much less be hurt because I don't like him back? I'm not special or important, so this whole thing is confusing to me.

He takes a few steps back and is about to turn back around when I walk over and wrap my arms around him to prevent him from leaving. He stops dead in his tracks. "It's not that I don't think we could have a chance together, it's just I can't see us in that way. I know age is just a number too, but I have some weird feelings for someone else. I still want to be friends with you, more than anything, I just can't be in a relationship with you. I really am sorry, I don't want this to be the end for us. I like talking to you and we have things in common, and I don't want to lose that." I say to him as I look up to make eye contact with him.