Chapter 36

Emma's POV

"Yes, I'll think about it," I tell my Aunt Carrie as I end the half an hour phone call. She wants me to go visit her in New York next week. Today is Thursday, the day after Christmas. There are five days to New Year's Eve and she suggested that I come to visit and celebrate the New Year. I've always wanted to go back to the East Coast, and New York sounds great, but I don't know how things will work if I leave. I haven't left California in years and part of me is afraid that something will go wrong or that I will become homesick. Not to mention the fact that I have a boyfriend now. I can't just leave without telling him either. If I do leave, it'll be Sunday night. But, I don't know if I have enough money to pay for airfare and other expenses. I need to talk to Austin.

Me: Hey, can we talk?

Austin: Sure, do you want to meet somewhere?

Me: Chick-fil-a?

Austin: Sure. Be there in thirty.

I go to my bedroom only to realize that I'm still in my pajamas with less than twenty minutes to get ready. I change clothes, apply a minimum amount of makeup, and grab a protein shake before walking outside to my car.  

"Where are you going?" Dominique calls my phone as soon as I'm in my car. 

"To meet Austin. When did you get home?" I ask her as I start the car.

"A few minutes ago. Why are you going to see Austin?"

"Because Aunt Carrie called me this morning asking if I want to come up for New Year's next week. And, I forgot to tell you but Austin and I are dating now. I'm going to meet him to ask him what he thinks because it would be rude if I went without telling him," I explain and prepare myself for the reaction she's about to give me about not telling her about Austin. 

"You and Austin are together? When was this and why haven't you told me?" I hear her gasp and realize my mistake.

"December 23rd. I was going to tell you but I got so caught up in Christmas and everything that I didn't think about it."

"Well, congratulations then. Have fun and be safe, honey," I hear Dominique say and she hangs up. 

A few minutes later, I am at Chick-fil-a. I see Austin's truck parked and park three cars down from it. When I open the door, I see him in the line to order food. I stand behind him and look at the menu to decide which salad to order. 

"So, why did you want me to meet you here?" He asks and squeezes my hand with his.

"Let's just order. I'll tell you when we go to sit down."

"Are you breaking up with me?" He whispers and I realize that I've got him worried. 

"No, I'm not. Don't be silly. I just need to talk, that's all," I reassure him and kiss his shoulder. The woman that was in front of us has moved and we are at the register to order. He looks at me before ordering and I nod, knowing how he feels about me being vegetarian. I order a salad and I get my wallet out but he stops me.

"We're together now, I'm paying," he says and I don't argue with him. He's just trying to be nice. I go to a booth to sit down and he follows me after paying for our lunch. Well, late lunch. It's almost three o'clock. 

"What is it?" He asks.

"So, this morning my Aunt Carrie called me, asking if I would go visit her in New York for New Year's Eve. I haven't been to New York since my mom was alive, and I told her months ago that I wanted to go and visit. I came to talk to you because I didn't know how you would feel about it and I knew I would be a horrible girlfriend if I just went without telling you," I explain and hope that he will give me a positive response.