Chapter 35

Emma's POV

Be my girlfriend.  The three torturing words that have lingered my mind for days. Four, to be exact. I told him that I needed time to think about it. Since that night, we have not spoken to one another and he has given me the space I need. I know I've had four days to think about it, but it doesn't seem like it. I'm going to say yes. Yes, Austin isn't the picture-perfect prince charming that a girl would dream of. A bad boy, perhaps. But, I can see us together. I've liked him for a while now and I've let the small things hold me back from pursuing him or a relationship in general. I am finally setting aside the fact that I've never dated anyone before and that I let my parents' failed relationship obscure the vision of what I want and who I want to be to take a chance. The year is almost over and it is the perfect timing for me to start living for myself instead of dwelling on others' mistakes. I am telling Austin tonight that I will be his girlfriend, labels aside too. 

It's one day to Christmas Eve. Two days to Christmas. Christmas Eve Eve as some would say. I am getting ready to go over to the Banks' house. Austin had mentioned it a while ago and I told him four days ago to tell his mother that I would be there. She picked up a day shift today at the hospital so dinner won't be until seven tonight. It's six now and I have started to get ready. Remembering my poor choice of clothing for Thanksgiving, I wear a long sleeve shirt with a Christmas tree printed on it, a pair of black ripped jeans, and my red Converse. I decided to try to curl my hair, only to realize that my straight hair wasn't having it tonight. I straighten it instead and walk out of the front door and go to my car. 

***

I walk up to the door and ring the doorbell, unable to avoid the feeling of deja vu. 

"Emma, come in," Claire says and I walk through the door. "Alex, Emma is here," she exclaims just loud enough for him to hear from his bedroom. 

He walks out of his bedroom with a gaming headset around his neck. "He's growing up so fast," I tell Claire and she nods her head.

"Hey Emma, how are you?" Alex asks and I reply stating that I am good and ask how he is. "I'm doing good. Just playing some video games. If you want to play with me, you know where my room is. You can play Fortnite with me even though you aren't that good."

"Oh, well geez, thanks," I look at him and roll his eyes. And that boy wonders why I don't play with him. I know I'm "trash at Fortnite" but he doesn't have to be rude about it. 

"You're welcome," he smirks and practically runs off to his room. 

"Um, Claire, where's Austin?"

"He just got home not too long ago. He is probably in his bedroom if I had to guess."

"Okay, thanks," I reply and walk up the stairs. I think I saw her smiling after I started walking up the stairs. I don't know why.

 I stand outside of his bedroom and mentally debate whether I should knock or not. All of the times I have in the past he's been rude and yelled at me. Stop thinking about the past, Emma. I knock two times and he opens the door.

"Emma, you're here. Come in," he says and I'm a little shocked by his reaction. I shouldn't be because things are different now, but I am. I follow him and go sit on his bed beside him. "So did you..."

"I did. And yes, I will be your girlfriend. Will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes, I will," he laughs at the cheesiness of the agreement and I do too. It feels as if I'm still in elementary school and liking some boy from my class. Austin kisses me and I kiss him back. He kisses me on the forehead and whispers "I love you."