Chapter 20

I'm at the grocery store. Again. It turns out that when you're in high school, you tend to stress eat a lot. I guess that is what has been happening to me. I haven't gained much weight recently so I guess it hasn't affected me.

"Emma? Is that you? It's been a while." Daniel says, standing a few feet away from me looking at tomatoes in the produce section. I needed avocados.

"Daniel, how're things going?"

"Good. College is slowly starting, and it's been bearable so far. I haven't heard from you in forever. Have you been busy?"

"Yes, I've had school for the past almost three weeks. Detention was rough this past week, but it wasn't bad."

His eyes widen, "Why did you get detention? You don't seem like the person that-" People will not stop asking me that.

I cut him off, " Me and a boy, Austin, were ten minutes late to class and our English teacher is terrible." I explain.

"Oh really? That's not near as bad as I thought. Did you say Austin? Austin Banks? I know he goes to your school."

"Yes. Do you know him or something?"

"Emma, I really shouldn't have brought that up. Austin is my brother. Little brother. When our parents divorced, he went with his- our mother while I went with our father. It was a really messy divorce and we haven't spoken since." He says, putting the tomatoes in a bag while now looking at cucumbers.

"Wow. So you mean you haven't spoken to either of them in years?" I manage to get out while trying to comprehend what he just said.

"Yes. I saw him when we were at that club. When he saw me, well us, he left. He left because of me, Emma, not you. He hates me. We were really close when we were younger. He was my best friend and we did everything together. There's a three year age gap between us but that's it. Mother had had that baby boy just before the papers were signed. She was left to raise him."

"Alex? Yes, I babysat him this summer for her. That's how I met Austin. How do you feel about them? I mean, you've been with your dad for six years. Before college, that was."

"I don't particularly like my mother or Austin. I never knew what side to believe, for I was almost fifteen when they split. Dad told me why I should hate them and I half believed him. My life is better without them in it to cause drama. That's all it was when we were growing up. Arguments and drama."

"Oh. Daniel, thank you for being so honest and vulnerable enough to tell me this. Not just anyone would've had it in them to tell someone. Austin has never mentioned you or that he had an older brother. I've been so clueless for so long. It really means a lot."

"Thanks for being so understanding, Emma. I'd love to get to know you better. Even if you are constantly around my brother. It's fine. You seem like such a great person and I'd like to know more about you. Would you wanna go out again sometime?"

"Daniel, of course. I'd like to get to know you too. Especially after this. Just text me when and where and I'll try to be there." I smile and give him a hug before going to find more food. He hugs me back and we say our goodbyes for now.

After getting seventy- two dollars worth of food, I decided to go home to put the refrigerated stuff up so it won't thaw out. Even though summer's over, it's still pretty hot outside. Right now it's seventy-nine degrees. I like to stay inside a lot when it's hot and enjoy the privilege of air conditioners. Unlike in the winter, where it's a sin to cut it on in fear of hypothermia. When I get home, I put up all groceries when Austin texts me out of the blue.

Austin: Hey, do you want to come over? We can go somewhere from there.

Emma: Sure, just let me take a shower and I'll be there:)