Chapter 42

Emma's POV

It is ten o'clock in the morning and Carrie still hasn't came home. I tried calling her phone again but it went straight to voicemail. I left her a few messages telling her to call me back but it seems useless. She could be passed out somewhere with a bad hangover for all I know. Maybe Liam took her back to his house after she had a few too many. I don't even know where he lives. Hell, she could be in another state right now. I hope she isn't in trouble. Austin is still asleep in the bedroom so I turn the tv on in the living room. Politics are on basically every news station at the moment, so I end up watching Paw Patrol on Disney channel. When Austin wakes up, he goes straight to the fridge. 

"Hungry?" I ask him. 

He looks at me. "Yes. I don't even remember eating a lot yesterday. There isn't a lot in this fridge that I would eat. It's full of vegetables and dieting foods."

"That's New York for you. I can make us sandwiches," I offer and he gives me a confused look. 

"Neither of you eat meat. What kind of sandwiches are there other than ones with meat?" He asks and it makes me think about stuff he might actually eat. 

"Would you eat avocado toast?" I ask him. 

"Um, sure. I think I saw some spinach and cheese pasta bite things in the fridge. Do you know how to cook them?" He asks and I'm shocked that he would even consider eating those. They are good though. 

"Yeah. You just boil them for seven minutes on the stove. I can do that," I tell him as I look in a cabinet for a pot. 

When they are done, I get two paper plates and divide the pasta bites between them. Austin takes one from a plate and eats it. 

"Ouch, they're hot. But, it actually tastes good," He says.

"I just poured the hot water out. Of course, they are still hot," I reply. "Do you want me to kiss it and make it better?" I ask and kiss him. He kisses me back and smiles a goofy grin. 

"What?" I ask and laugh. 

"Nothing," He replies and kisses me again. 

"Okay, that's enough for now. You aren't the only hungry one in here."

After eating, I get dress in the bedroom, and Austin changes in the bathroom. We, or should I say he, decides to go to a Dave and Busters nearby. We check our social media while we wait on an Uber to arrive. A bunch of protests is popping up on my Instagram along with a lot of people's opinions on racism. I briefly look at the posts before our Uber is here. Fifteen minutes later, we are standing at the entrance of Dave and Busters. It is in a strip mall near the Upper West Side. Inside, games are scattered everywhere. We go to a machine and spend nearly one-hundred dollars to get points on our cards. Austin sees two basketball games and leads me to them holding my hand. 

"There's no way I'm doing this," I tell him, reminding myself of my non-athletic ability and comparing it to his. 

"Why not? Are you afraid of a little competition?" He asks and I blush a little. 

"Fine, but don't rub it in my face if I lose." I press the start button after swiping my card and the basketballs are rolling towards my slot. I start throwing them and I surprisingly land three of them into the basket. I miss two and land another. After the sixty seconds are over, the score is twenty-three to twenty. I win. As if that even seems possible. 

"You beat me," He exclaims and fakes a pout. 

"I'm just as surprised as you are," I reply and shrug my shoulders. "What's next?"