Chapter 38

Emma's POV

"Emma! It's so great to see you!" She expresses and pulls me into a hug. "Come inside," Carrie instructs and we follow her into her average-size apartment.  

"Aunt Carrie, this is Austin," I introduce him and he looks at me before looking back to her. 

"Austin, I'm Carrie. Nice to meet you," She says to him before turning around and going into the living room. We follow her, not wanting to get lost. The living room is well-decorated and looks like it is straight out of a home improvement magazine. 

"I like your living room," I tell Carrie and she replies with a "thanks".  I don't know who this is more awkward for: me or Austin. Either way, it is weird visiting your aunt who you haven't seen in over three years. I know nothing about her except that she is a fashion designer who has a great style in clothing. And me, she doesn't know anything about me except maybe that I focus on school and make good grades. It would be nice to catch up with her and learn more about her but I don't want it to be any more awkward than it is now. 

"Could I get you anything? Maybe a bottle of water or a soda?" She asks us.

"No thank you, I'm fine," I reply.

"Um, I'm good too," Austin replies. She goes into the kitchen to get herself something to drink, I assume, and Austin turns to look at me. "Why haven't you said much? I thought you were really looking forward to talking to your aunt." 

"I was, I am. It's just weird not seeing someone for three years and only occasionally hearing from them. I don't know. Like, what if we don't have anything in common? What if she's totally different from what I remember? What if she doesn't like me?" I explain, noticing the anxiety in my stomach, making me feel nauseous. 

He puts his hands on both sides of my waist and pulls me close to him. "Emma, calm down. It'll all be okay. I'm right here if you need me. Don't worry about it. Talk to her. You've got this," He kisses my lips before Carrie comes back. Something about what he says gives me some comfort and calms me down a little. He's right, I shouldn't be worrying about this. If she doesn't like me, then we'll just enjoy our visit in NYC without her. 

"I'm back. I'm sorry I took so long," She announces as she walks back into the living room with a bowl of peanut butter and bananas mixed with greek yogurt and a bottle of water. She sits in the pink chair across from the taupe-colored couch that Austin and I are now sitting on. 

"Oh, it's all good. So, while you were gone I was thinking about how we really do not know a lot about each other and how the only thing I know about you is that you are a fashion designer. Could you tell me some more about what your hobbies are and what you like to do? I don't remember much from when I was little," I explain to her, nervously, and squeeze Austin's hand. He laces his fingers in mine and gives me a comforting look.