Chapter 8

I awoke from the best sleep ever. I had a great dream. I was on a comfy couch, cuddling with a guy who actually cared about me. One who wasn't of my father. We were watching a sad movie, one I love. I snapped out of my reverie and smiled when I realized my dream was real, and not just my imagination. I felt two arms around me and my head was on his chest. I gasped when I realized that it was Austin's hard chest and his arms as well. He was still asleep and I didn't want to wake him because that would be even more awkward. Maybe I should just pretend to go sleep some more. I checked my iPhone, and it read 7:15 am. Great, Austin's mom should be here any second to see her son sleeping with me.

One new message: Claire: Hey, I have to stay over an hour or so to help clean up. I'm so sorry. I will pay you extra when I come back. Thanks.

Looks like I'm stuck here with Austin after all.

Alex comes dashing through the living room. "Good Morning, Emma!!" He shouts.

"Shh. Austin is still asleep. Let's not wake him." I say, calmly.

"Why is he sleeping with you?" Alex asks. Oh boy.

"Because Austin had a nightmare and he got scared." I lie, laughing a little at the fact Austin would never get scared.

"Okay. Hey Emma, wanna play with me?" Alex asks.

"I can't get up, or I would," I say, doubtful. I could still smell the intoxicating smell of his cologne. It might be on my shirt, too. It smells so good. I wish it was normal for girls to wear cologne, there's a lot of scents that smell good. But then, I guess it wouldn't be fair for the boys not to be able to wear perfume. Imagine them walking around buying Bath and Body Works for themselves? The thought makes me giggle.

"I've got this," Alex says and goes to wake him.

"No-Alex don't-"

"AUSTIN!!" He screams in his ear. Austin bolts up startled, as if he wasn't peacefully sleeping. I tried to stop him.

Alex then runs to his room, slamming the door and laughing. That boy. What am I going to do with him? Little six-year-olds...

He gasps and his cheeks blush red when he realizes what he's doing. He quickly removes his arms and scoots as far away from me as he possibly can on the couch, head in hands.

"So... this is awkward..." I say, breaking the silence.

"Yeah..." "I guess I was tired last night." He exclaims.

"Me too," I reply, emotionlessly. "What do we do now?"

"I have no idea." He moves closer to me for a second, inhaling to realize I smelled like his cologne, then moving as far away as possible from me on the couch.

I get off the couch, him following behind me, and head to Alex's room to play action figures. Alex still wants me to play with him, I remember. What else is there left to do? "Alex!" I yell, attempting to get his attention.

"Emma! Where's your boyfriend? He needs to play video games with us too." He asks and smirks. Where in the world is this coming from? Where did he learn the word boyfriend?

"I don't have a boyfriend, Alex. What makes you say that? Do you even know what a boyfriend is?" I tell and question him.

"Yes, you do have a boyfriend, my brother. A boyfriend is someone you love, and you love my brother, right? Why else would you let him sleep with you when he has a nightmare?" He rambles. Good question. "Y'all looked cute together." He exclaimed, laughing.

"Fine, I do love your brother. But, he can never know that, alright?!" I say, blushing as the words leave my mouth.

"Deal. It's our secret." He chirps, happy.

"I will be right back," I say and go towards the door to fix some coffee. I'm still half asleep and I run only on caffeine. I bump into a stiff chest as I attempt to walk out of the door. Austin. Was he eavesdropping on our conversation? "Um..." My cheeks blush.

"Did I just hear you say you love me?" He smirks, knowingly.

"Hey, you eavesdropped on our conversation!!" I spit in repulsion.

"Yeah, and your point is? I knew you liked me all along, after all, all of the girls do. Who can resist me?" He gloats and laughs.

"Me," I say.

"But you said you loved me, sweetheart, remember?" He laughed.

"Yeah, love your neighbor as yourself. I'm just nice, that's all. I said I love you, not that I was in love with you. Listen for a chance." I argue.

"Oh, I bet." He brushes my arm, lightly, sending electric currents down my arm and throughout my body.

"Don't touch me." I spat.

He touches my arm again and then embraces me in a hug, whispering in my ear, "You won't win this one, as many girls who have come and gone. You'll eventually fall for me, I know you will." He swiftly disappears into his room. As that happens, Claire pulls into the driveway.

She parks and unlocks the door, coming in in her hospital scrubs once again. "Thank you so much for staying longer, Emma, I really appreciate it bunches."

"No problem," I say and smile, even though I don't mean it.

"Here's some extra money since I was unexpectedly late." She tries to hand me two one-hundred-dollar bills. Why is everyone I'm around so wealthy? I'm considered poor at this point.

"No thanks, I don't need any money," I tell her, meaningfully.

"No, I insist, you really earned it." She pleads. I take the money even though I hate to. I know she's a nurse practitioner but she doesn't make that much money, surely not. Oh well, I'll just use it for the rest of the summer's expenses, like more food. Stuff for the kids, not things spent on me.

I grab my things and head out the door. Alex stops me. "Bye Emma!" He grabs onto my leg in midst of me trying to walk out in the rain. I didn't bring a jacket...

"Austin, don't you want to tell Emma bye?" His mom yells. No answer. "I'm sorry, Emma, he's usually difficult." She says apologetically.

"It's okay, and I've gotten used to it. He's not very social, I guess."

"Oh no, is he giving you problems? I'll have a talk with him, maybe take away a few privileges, set a curfew. Just tell me and I'll-"

"You know, actually, I'm pretty good. He doesn't need to be punished or anything, as of now that is not necessary. Thank you, though, Ms. South." I exclaim, lightly using her maiden name she goes by.

I drive home in the rain, replaying Austin and I's drama today. What a day. And it's just only started.