Chapter 17

Why did I agree to do this? I did not think this over well.

Here I sat, with my car turned off in my Aunt Amber's driveway. I can't help but debate whether to turn the keys and go back home or to face my death. Two years. Two years since I last saw her and my cousins, and I have no desire to see them now. I don't even know why Amber invited me over for this stupid dinner. She hates me like she despised my mother. What could she possibly want now? Probably money. A large amount of money she thinks is in my possession but isn't and the little money I have worked for she'll never get.

I quit complaining and slowly get out of the car, taking the longest time ever to reach the door. I knock and wait a few minutes before ringing the doorbell. Amber comes to the fancy brown rustic door, dressed up in designer clothes like always, and finally opens it.

"Emma. How pleasant it is that you showed up. How are you? Must be hard living in a place so desolate and being alone."

"I'm doing fine, Aunt Amber. So about dinner, what exactly are we eating?" I ask, polite as ever.

"Smoked pork jowl with pickles. Dear, why don't you go see your sweet cousins. I'm sure they've missed you as much as I have."

"Okay," I say as I make my way up the twisted staircase. She still hates me. I'm sure Dominique and Peter do too. They all see me as a low life loser. Not because I am, which I'm not, but because of Amber's jealousy of Mom that she gave to her children.

"Hello, Dominique. It's been a while. How have you been?" I ask.

"Fine, just fine. Nothing new or exciting ever happens and life is getting too monotonous to be buoyant anymore." She says as she's sorting her clothes in her walk-in closet. I remember always liking her style when I was younger before Mom died and we were still communicating scarcely.

"Where's Peter?"

"Probably in his room reading Shakespeare or studying some calculus. I have things to do. Why don't you go bother him instead of me?" It sounded more like a command than a question.

I gladly leave her room to return back downstairs and head to Peter's room. He opens his door once my footsteps are close enough to be heard.

"Oh, Emma. What's the occasion?"

"Your mother invited me over for dinner tonight and I thought I'd come by to say hello."

"She did, didn't she? I forgot about that tonight. Well, it's competent to see you."

"It's time to eat. Peter, go tell Dominique. She'll be rather blithe to hear." Amber says.

I make my way to the dining room, surprised I still remember where it is in this humongous place. I also must have seemed to forgot their overuse of strong vocabulary. All three of them have grown up depressed forever. Another reason not to stick around.

Amber starts putting plates out, along with fine silver dishes and cutlery. The extravagant looking food is on the long table and appears almost too perfect to eat. Dominique and Peter find spots at the table to sit while Amber fills our drinks. Everyone will be drinking water. The water is probably fancy too. My aunt and cousins don't have a bunch of money but make use of what they have. I don't know if Amber is still in debt or not, but I know this house is about as fake as she is.

"Let's say the prayer. Dominique, it's your turn."

Dominique says Grace and then everyone begins to fix their plates. I begin eating.

"So Emma, I have been thinking. It's not exactly legal for you, a poor sixteen-year-old girl, to be living alone in a house not quite paid off. You need to live with a legal adult/guardian before authorities find out. They will, eventually. I'll make you a deal." Amber proposes.

"Okay..." Why is she doing this? Can I leave now? This is becoming too much.

"We have an extra room. Come live with us. But, if we father you in like such, then we must get something in return. You were your mother's child so I suppose you are a workaholic. 1000 a month is all I ask. You will not only be safe from the law, but also get free groceries, nice meals, and occasionally nice clothing. You'll be able to bring anything you wish from your current home with you."

She's definitely still in debt. And how do I know she'll use that money for good? Maybe Gucci high heels for all I'll know. Or drugs. After all, she has had a history of them. What am I supposed to say? She's manipulating me into doing things in her favor. And, if I refuse her offer, she'll tell authorities herself and I'll be put in foster care for two more years. I can't let that happen. $1000 a month? That's basically my mortgage right there. The money isn't too much, but knowing what the money could possibly be used for is what matters. I don't want to live with her and be treated like crap. All three of them hate my guts. There is no way that I'm living with them. Seeing them tonight is enough to turn me around.

"Um.., as appealing as your offer sounds, I have other factors to take into consideration right now. School has just started and I haven't gone back to work. I babysat kids this summer. I don't think I can give you $1000 a month currently. I'm not refusing your offer, but I will have to take some time to think about it. Thank you for being such kind." I say my piece, finishing up my dinner and getting ready to leave.

"It's getting rather late may I say and I have school tomorrow. I must get going now. Thank you all for the dinner and the allowance to catch up. Goodbye." I tell them as I grab my purse and rain jacket, dying to get out of their house.

"Bye, Emma." Dominique and Amber reply sternly. Peter is still stuffing his face but does a faint resemblance of a wave with his hand.

I leave out the wooden double doors and happily drive forty-five minutes back home.

When I get home, I call Nicole. She's the only one besides Alexis who knows a lot about my family. I inform her of the dinner and my Aunt's offer, along with their terrible behaviors. She is surprised at what had happened and claims that she's here for "moral and emotional support". For some reason, I doubt that. Anyways, she is just as clueless as I am about the whole situation.
Living with my cousins would be worse than my worse nightmare. I couldn't imagine having to see them every day. They don't have electronics or television in their house and aren't allowed to do certain things. Amber is sure of this because she wants her children to grow up and be successful, unlike me and my pathetic life. She told me that the last time I saw her. No wonder her husband divorced her when she was only in her twenties.

When I was fourteen and it had been a few months after her sister had died. I was still traumatized and all she told me was to grow up and get over myself. I took her advice and made it to where I am now. I matured too quickly as a kid, and now seeing Alex being his sweet, innocent self, I kind of regret doing that. I needed a childhood when I was younger, but even before my mother got sick real bad I never enjoyed life. I was always so restricted, and anxious. I never lived as I should have. I always was afraid to take risks and try new things. I never had any fun.

I take a shower, washing my hair and conditioning it, and then change into my athletic clothes that serve as pajamas. I tie my hair up in a ponytail and let it air dry as I read a few pages of the last book of Twilight. It's 754 pages long and it seems to never end. But, you never get bored reading it and don't realize how much you've read until you do. I end up deciding on reading one hundred pages then planning on going to bed. Today has been too long for me to do anything else with the rest of my night. It's already nine pm and I'm feeling drowsy. I find myself reading around fifty pages before my eyes start to flutter shut and I fall asleep on my bed, book in hands.