Chapter Twenty Two

Olin tried his best to keep his cool as he sat in the crowded waiting room. Cassandra sighed and prayed that he would keep his comments to himself. Her pray was semi answered, "So, it's a girl?" She nodded as she looked down. "What are you going to name her?"

She sighed and silently counted to three, "Jackson Rose Lambert."

"I like it. Can I call her JR for short?"

Cassandra scoffed, "No, because you won't be seeing her."

Olin swallowed loudly, "Why?"

She locked her eyes on his painful face, "I can take being hurt by you all day long, but.. You hurt someone else when you turned your back on me. You judge where I live, and my prenatal care as though it's nothing. I'm trying the best that I can with what I have.. Obviously I'm still not good enough to keep around for you to care about. So please spare me your looks and judgmental words, and leave."

"I'm sorry for my uncaring comments, they are not directed towards you. I'm ashamed how you are living because of me. None of this is your fault. Please let me take you to a real doctor."

Her lip quivered as she spoke, "Oh no Olin, I've been doing okay without you. I can't afford the rug to be pulled out from under me again."

"I would never do that again!"

Cassandra nervously looked around the waiting room to see if anyone heard them, "I know, because I'm not putting myself in that situation again."

He lightly grasped her hand, "I still love you.."

She carelessly smirked, "Poor you.."

"You don't believe me?"

"Nope."

"Then why am I here?"

"So you can gain my trust. Have me put your name on the birth certificate and take her after you prove what an unfit mother I am, and you and your bitch of a wife Vicki raise her as your own."

Olin couldn't believe what she was saying, " Cassandra, Vicki and I.."

"Spare me. She told me Olin. Just drop it."

Olin grasped her hand tighter, "What did you say?"

Cassandra's chest heaved as she looked at him squeezing her hand, "She told me. You only slept with me to get me pregnant, then take it so you would have children."  Olin wanted to scream at the top of his lungs for her to know the truth. "I feel like such a fool to believe that you loved me."

"Cassandra, look at me know." She turned her pained face to him, "I'm divorcing Vicki."

She searched his face for deceit, "I don't care Olin, your personal life means nothing to me."

He talked through pressed teeth, "Cassandra.."

"Cassandra Lambert?!"

She eased off of the seat and Olin followed. The nurse smiled, "Hello Cassandra. Who is this?"

Cassandra glared to Olin, "Nobody."

Olin sighed and pursed his lips. He turned to the nurse, "I'm.. an Asshole.."

The nurse raised her amused eyebrows, "Oh? We see plenty of those from time to time in here. Nice to meet you Mr. Asshole."