Chapter 6

CrowPaw woke. It had been two sunrises since RobinPaw fell out of the tree. When she swung her head toward her friends nest she was never there because of her punishments. The night before RobinPaw had been talking to CrowPaw. Which made her feel better. FlowerBlossom's gentle mew sounded through the apprentice den entrance,"Wake up CrowPaw!" CrowPaw rose to her paws and padded out. FlowerBlossom's sweet gaze was locked with CrowPaw's gaze."Yesterday i taught you to hunt,"FlowerBlossom mewed,"Today, I'll teach you basic fighting moves,"She paused, glancing into CrowPaws eyes,"Meet me at the training hollow." The white and gray she-cat charged away. CrowPaw sighed, "Coming!-I guess."CrowPaw absently raced after her mentor,I want to go on hunting patrol with RobinPaw! She wailed in her mind.

When she reached the hollow FlowerBlossom was nowhere to be seen. Confused, CrowPaw looked around. The moment she was off gaurd, FlowerBlossom leaped onto her back from hiding on top of the hollow. CrowPaw gasped as her paws buckled beneath her. She was pinned helplessly on the ground."That's what we'll be learning first!" FlowerBlossom leaped to her paws,"Fighting from things lower than trees,"Her meow startled CrowPaw.She had to focus! Putting RobinPaw to the back of her mind, she nodded."Alright," FlowerBlossom leaped to the top of the hollow."I'm a ShadowClan warrior about to surprise attack you, but you dont know that,"She paused,"You always need to be alert in battles for the enemy. Now, here we go!" CrowPaw turned her back on FlowerBlossom.She pricked her ears and sniffed. Her mentor was perched against the hollow, trying to make the strong wood scent cover hers. She stiffened and kept her senses there. Then, she lost where her mentor was! Without turning, she thought of the high places near the training hollow. She remebered the half of tree burnt to the ground. She put her senses in that direction. She smelled FlowerBlossom! Relieved she had found her target, she crouched, knowing the pounce would come. When she blinked, her mentor rolled onto her. CrowPaw hissed and kicked her metors belly, sending her a fox-length away. Leaping to her paws, she let out a pretend warning growl. FlowerBlossom smiled."Well done!" She praised then added,"Especially for your first time too."RobinPaw was now at the back of CrowPaws mind."It's your time to surprise attack me," FlowerBlossom meowed, turnng her back from the hollow. CrowPaw leaped onto the top of the hollow. She looked down at FlowerBlossom then around her. Her mentor would hear her if she stayed where she was. She decided to leap onto a tree branch low to the ground. She wouldn't get in trouble going onto a branch she knew she could climb. When she heard FlowerBlossom gasp she leaped onto her mentor, but FlowerBlossom heard the swish of the leaves and dodged CrowPaws attack.Mouse dung!"That was good for your first try,"FlowerBlossom commented."Want to try again?" CrowPaw nodded,"I want to get as much practice in as possible!" FlowerBlossom let out mrrow of amusement,"But we have to be back at Sun-High because we're going on a hunting patrol with RobinPaw, SilverStrike and the deputy, BurrPelt."She quickly added,"It's a hunting party, really." CrowPaw leaped onto the hollow again. She saw her mentor turn. CrowPaw ducked low and leaped higher onto the hollow. She noticed her scent was lost. When she saw the advantage she quietly pounced and found herself rolling with FlowerBlossom. When they stopped rolling she was pinning the warrior."Well done!" grunted FlowerBlossom."Let's get ready for the patrol."