Chapter 8

CrowPaw yawned awake."Wake up CrowPaw!" Hissed FlowerBlossom."I'm coming,"CrowPaw mewed drowsily. She shook her pelt and padded out of the apprentice den,"Now that you've been an apprentice for a moon, you and RobinPaw are going to learn how to climb trees today." CrowPaws eyes brightened an she was filled with energy,"We're learning together?!" She gasped. FlowerBlossom nodded,"This time you'll be allowed to climb the ancient oak. The two cats bounded toward the ancient oak."RobinPaw!" CrowPaw purred."We'll be climbing that small tree,"SilverStrike meowed, flicking his tail to a small pine tree."Watch," FlowerBlossom unsheathed her claws and stuck them in the bark of the tree and clawed her way up. SilverStrike did the same. The two warriors were on the highest branch,"You'll work your way up here!" SilverStrike called down to them."Well? Start on the first branch and work your way up!" CrowPaw and RobinPaw unsheathed their claws. CrowPaw leaped up the tree and stuck her her claws in the bark."Can I tell you something later?" RobinPaw whispered to CrowPaw when she caught up with her."Sure," CrowPaw turned her head up the tree and leaped onto the first sturdy branch she could. RobinPaw leaped onto a strong branch next to the one CrowPaw was on. RobinPaw grunted after she caught her breath and clawed back into the tree. CrowPaw leaped after her.This is hard! She thought. She was dangling and yowled,"I'm too tired!" RobinPaw was a mouse-length higher than CrowPaw. She grabbed the black she-cats scruff and hauled her onto a sturdy branch. They were three branches away from the top. RobinPaw screeched when she leaped to the next branch. she was slipping! CrowPaw gasped. She looked at RobinPaw. She sighed in relief when she saw that she was able to get up. She clawed up the tree again. She didn't stop until she reached the top. She gasped for breath."Well done!" FlowerBlossom praised.CrowPaw flicked her tail to show she had taken notice. RobinPaw suddenly leaped up beside SilverStrike."You too,"The tom praised his apprentice."H-How do we get down?" CrowPaw asked, still rasping for breath."Catch your breath first,"FlowerBlossom nudged CrowPaw. RobinPaw had already had. CrowPaw breathed."I'm good,"FlowerBlossom purred,"We jump down." SilverStrike glanced at her."Demonstrate it," He told FlowerBlossom."Keep your paws bended when you land and don't blink." FlowerBlossom leaped down and landed on her paws."Your turn CrowPaw!" She called. SilverStrike stood beside her."I'll fix any mistake you make," He promised. CrowPaw gulped.She blinked. She stopped blinking and bended her paws. She glared at the ground, getting ready to leap at her target."You've made no mistake," SilverStrike told her."Remember your target then jump." CrowPaw screwed her eyes in place and didn't flinch. Her eyes stayed where she wanted to land. She leaped. She landed on her paws.She panted,"I did it!" FlowerBlossom purred in a praise."RobinPaw, it's your turn!" FlowerBlossom called up again. In a few heartbeats RobinPaw came falling down but she landed perfectly on her paws."So, we can climb trees now?" RobinPaw asked SilverStrike hen he came down."Well, yes but now we have to climb the ancient oak and stop on the branches halfway to the top,"He paused,"You will be attacking a enemy. Your target is me," He stood in the middle of the forest next to the ancient oak."I'm a RiverClan cat." The three she-cats clawed up the tree. This time, in a moment."RobinPaw,"FlowerBlossom mewed,"Jump on him with claws sheathed. Just like last time but quieter." RobinPaw nodded and got in the tree-jumping position. She didn't flinch and her eyes were stuck on her mentor. She leaped and landed on SilverStrikes shoulders, pinning the warrior."Ha!" She yowled triumphantly."Your turn CrowPaw," FlowerBlossom whispered. CrowPaw got into position and fixed her eyes on SilverStrike. She pounced and landed on the tom, but he twisted and pinned her."Climb back up and do it again-"He glared at RobinPaw-"Both of you." The two apprentices groaned and leaped back up."Go crowPaw!" Mewed FlowerBlossom. CrowPaw did the same thing again but landed onto the tom and knocked him off his paws."Well done!" He praised,"Let's get back to camp."