Chapter 7: Eventually's the new Now

"NO NO NO YOU IDIOT!!!! DON'T PASS! NOT NOW!" Preston shouted.

"What is WRONG with him!! MAMA DIDN'T TEACH YOU TO RUN, BOI?!" I responded.

Preston and I were currently situated on the couch, watching football - Germany versus France, and let me just say, France was pathetic. They weren't even RUNNING properly. And I know, I know, I don't seem like much of a football person and blah, blah, blah. Well, the truth is, I'm not. All I do is watch the matches, because let me just go ahead and say it, they're amazing! Somehow the concept of watching people run behind a ball strikes me as appealing. Yeah, I'm weird. Another reason was that even though Preston and I didn't really agree on a lot, this was one time of day the both of us would drop everything, sit together on the couch, stuff our mouths with a different snack each day (chips, mostly), and have fun. We somehow managed to feel good about each other's presence without actually saying much. It was freaking awesome.

As the match paused and the commercials came on, we plopped back on the couch in exhaustion; all that shouting can get you pretty wired out.

"France totally sucks, man. I would've expected them to play well..."

"Totally," he replied, looking a tad uninterested. "Hey listen, how are you?"

I shot him a questioning look, and he said, "No, I mean how are you with that Ian kid? I saw him with that slut, and just wondered whether, you know...you were okay?"

My eyes widened in horror.

"Wait, wait, wait, Preston, hold up! How do you know about Ian?" My cheeks were now red. Way to conceal your emotions, Aubrey!

"I'm your brother, Aubrey! I've known you your whole life! You think I wouldn't know?"

"But I never even mentioned him!"

"We brothers have a sixth sense, know what I mean? Besides, I remember back when you were in fifth grade, I saw you talking to him, and when I asked you, you said his name was Ian, and that he was nice. That was pretty much enough for me to take a hint. I then asked you about him everyday till the end of fifth grade, and everyday you'd smile and tell me about your "fun" with the guy. Whoa, that last part came out wrong!"

"Pervert! But really! I don't remember saying anything to you! And you're telling me you've remembered everything I told you?"

"Yeah! little Aubrey's face would go red as soon as I'd mention him! Just like today."

I smiled. "So you just assumed that I'd kept up my feelings for him till date?"

"Maybe. Also, we go to the same school, you don't think I've seen you drooling over him?"

Right. Preston was doing his Senior Year in high school. Just a one year difference between us.

"Oh, my god! This is SO embarrassing!"

"Hahaha! Now answer my question."

"What question?"

He closed his eyes, took in a deep breath as if it pained him to say it, "Are. You. Okay?"

My smile turned wider, "Yes, brother dear. I'm grand. One last question, aren't you supposed to be, I don't know, my brother? Since when do you care about my (failed) love life? Also, you were okay with me liking a total hottie? What happened to 'big brothers are so overprotective'?"

"I was only okay with you liking that man-whore and didn't say anything about it because I knew you didn't have a chance with him!" He laughed.

"Gee, thanks. Way to kill the moment, brother dear. Now if you coud please unmute, the match is back on."